This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which keyboard should I get?

#1MissHedgehogPosted 9/7/2013 5:54:19 AM
Hello! My boyfriend has just upgraded his computer, so I have his old desktop now. Except I still don't have a keyboard... I've been typing just fine on a laptop keyboard for the past three years, but he has a CM storm Quickfire. I really like it, but it's pretty expensive in The Netherlands. So here are my options:
1. Get a normal keyboard, because I can't really feel the difference between red and normal keys.
2. Get a mechanical cherry blue keyboard, either the black widow or the quickfire. I think.

My problems with ordering one is that I can't try them out. If I get mechanical keys I want blue ones, that's all I know for sure. I kind of like having a 10 keypad on the side, but if it's that much more expensive, I don't think it's worth it. I'd like to keep it under 80 euros but it looks like that's hard. (I play TF2 and some MMO's, but I really need it to be good for normal typing too, if that makes a difference.)

Sorry for rambling... What I'm trying to ask is whether I should get the black widow or the quickfire, or if you know a good non-mechanical keyboard that feels nice so I can go find it and try it out. Thanks! :)
---
FC 5043-2061-7637
#2_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/7/2013 10:44:49 AM(edited)
Normally I would recommend the Quickfire rapid, since it is a high quality Costar built tenkeyless that is just around 75 euros. However, I also know that they only sell them in Cherry MX reds in Holland, which is a shame. I thought about suggesting to just buy one of Amazon.co.uk, but the ones they sell there all have a UK layout (In Holland you would want either Dutch Layout, US international or simply US, but not UK layout). Importing from the US is not really a possibility, because you might have to pay both customs and BTW even after already paying VAT. Another option is to buy from ebay and import. Depending on how they are packaged, more often than not you can avoid those extra charges. It is worth checking out brands like Keycool that they offer on there.

I usually would not recommend Razer keyboads, but given the limited availability in Holland, your budget, and the fact that you want blues, the Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition is not such a bad deal.

Another option would be to save a little more and buy a Filco from the keyboard company. Though it will be much more expensive.

You can easily have a tenkeypad on the side for when you need it , and it does not have to be expensive. If you do not mind having a simple rubberdome tenkeypad, they are only around 10-15 euros for an USB keypad. That is what I use for those moments when I need it (very rarely when at home).

Good luck.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#3MissHedgehog(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 12:25:30 PM
Thank you so much! I didn't even realize that there were separate 10 key pads, that is actually a really good idea. Looking at Tweakers, the Black Widow tournament edition is 79 euros. No shipping etc, so that would be really nice. May I ask what you don't like about Razer keyboards? I've never actually felt one so I wouldn't know :)
---
FC 5043-2061-7637
#4_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/7/2013 6:06:51 PM(edited)
MissHedgehog posted...
Thank you so much! I didn't even realize that there were separate 10 key pads, that is actually a really good idea. Looking at Tweakers, the Black Widow tournament edition is 79 euros. No shipping etc, so that would be really nice. May I ask what you don't like about Razer keyboards? I've never actually felt one so I wouldn't know :)

Sure, glad I could help. To be honest, the main reason I would not recommend Razer because they often charge a brandname premium, while you can get a similar or better quality product (without the ridiculous gaming branding) for less. That is not an issue here though, that Blackwidow ultimate edition is pretty competitively priced. Though I have to admit I dislike the look of most of their products. It seems like many things that they add to their keyboards are just not that practical. Like glossy plastic surfaces, or a coating on their keycaps that fades over time. They are pretty much fine though. And some of their products do not have that over the top "gaming" look.

That said, while Cherry MX switches feel fairly consistent across keyboards, there are differences. Some keyboards characteristics that make the feel a different across keyboard. One example is the kind of stabilizers that are used for larger keys like shift, space and enter. Another example is whether switches are mounted to a plate or directly to the PCB. Things like that can really affect the overall feel of a keyboard. There are also differences in general build quality among brands. Razer is really not that bad, though certainly not the best either.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#5aak57Posted 9/7/2013 6:07:30 PM
One thing I'd like to point out is that you should give the mechanical keyboard some time. It may not feel amazing right at first, but I'm pretty confident that if you use it for a few weeks then go back to a normal keyboard, you'll get that "wow" factor.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#6MissHedgehog(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2013 5:14:55 AM
I ordered the Tournament edition. My boyfriend said if I really don't like it we can swap, haha! But I'm sure it'll be great! Thanks for your advice :)
---
3DS FC 5043-2061-7637
#7happyscrub1Posted 9/8/2013 5:22:09 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8SlaynPosted 9/8/2013 5:23:37 AM
Do we get to see pics of you and the keyboard together?
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#9_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/8/2013 6:04:07 PM
MissHedgehog posted...
I ordered the Tournament edition. My boyfriend said if I really don't like it we can swap, haha! But I'm sure it'll be great! Thanks for your advice :)

Great , enjoy your keyboard. Since it is the main way that you interact with you PC, I think it is a good investment.
---