This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Too many HDMI types at Monoprice

#1The cranky hermitPosted 9/7/2013 1:51:19 PM
The conventional wisdom for HDMI cables has always been for me "get the cheap stuff on Monoprice." But Monoprice has a whole bunch of options available. I need 10ft cables (my old 6ft cables aren't long enough for my new configuration), and these are the options available that won't bankrupt me, in rough order from least to most expensive:

28AWG
28AWG High Speed
Metallic 28AWG High Speed
Premium 24AWG Flat Type
Premium 24AWG High Speed
RedMere Slim High Performance
RedMere Ultra Slim High Performance
Premium 24AWG with Ethernet

What is the practical difference between these cable types? For reference, I am trying to connect a PS3 to an HDTV capable of 3D 1080p and xvyCC color. I'm sure the 28AWG High Speed is good enough for that, maybe even the 28AWG standard is, but I'm not against some future-proofing either. I also have no idea what devices use ethernet in the HDMI or how.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#2LordSeiferPosted 9/7/2013 1:55:05 PM
28 is pretty thin, you may want to play it safe and go with a little thicker cable, itll still be cheap from monoprice.
nothing I own would use ethernet through HDMI. and even if so, its very easy to run an ethernet cable.
---
^ this
#3LordSeiferPosted 9/7/2013 1:55:49 PM
but the practical difference would be nothing, unless it entirely didnt work.
---
^ this
#4Ch3wyPosted 9/7/2013 2:22:10 PM(edited)
RedMere is for long distances(up to 60ft), but I think it also allows for them to make normal distance cables thinner. Pretty sure they're all mono-directional too so I wouldn't waste the extra money on them for a 10ft cable.

Also make sure to get High Speed, regular only goes up to 1080i I think.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.