This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help with my wireless network

#1HarmonicWavePosted 9/7/2013 1:43:23 PM
I have a desktop PC hard wired to a Netgear N router and need some help with wireless settings.

First, how do I change the SSID? Right now when I see the list of available networks mine just says "NETGEAR" and I obviously would like to change that to something unique. I can't find where to change it.

Second, I just got a laptop and it's connected to the Internet wirelessly through the router (typing this on it right now). However, when I try to network with my desktop PC to share files it just gives me this error message:

"Windows no longer detects a Homegroup on this network." etc.

I put in the right Homegroup password but it never connects. I've never networked computers before, so forgive my ignorance.
---
I wouldn't call myself a gamer, but rather an explorer, artist and musician. I enjoy exploring worlds and stories created by such people, often found in games.
#2LordSeiferPosted 9/7/2013 3:01:41 PM

for a netgear its likely 192.168.0.1 into your address bar, also it likely says this on the bottom of the router.
---
^ this
#3HarmonicWave(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 5:11:50 PM
I found the login info on the bottom of the router and changed the SSID. Thanks.

But I still need help with the second part. My desktop PC has a Homegroup, but when I look on the laptop it says there is no Homegroup on the network. I try making one and it shows a different password from what my desktop shows, so they don't have the same Homegroup. What's going on and how do I connect the two computers to the same Homegroup so they can share files?
---
I wouldn't call myself a gamer, but rather an explorer, artist and musician. I enjoy exploring worlds and stories created by such people, often found in games.
#4HarmonicWave(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 5:41:53 PM
Alright, I finally joined the Homegroup from the laptop by changing the password for the Homegroup on my desktop. Now I can't figure out how to share files. There are some generic folders like Music or Pictures, but it won't let me drag and drop files into them. How does this work? I must be missing something stupidly obvious. Both computers are connected to the Homegroup but I can't get any files moved or shared.

I just want to copy files from the desktop to the laptop, why is that so complicated?

(I can't even find a regular USB cable around here to link the two, and I shouldn't have to when I have wireless.)
---
#5d209999Posted 9/7/2013 5:57:14 PM
Check your sharing settings.

Or just use a USB drive like the rest of the world.
---
*under construction*
#6LordSeiferPosted 9/8/2013 3:14:16 AM
did you actually share the files?

as in right click on the folder you want to share, properties, sharing, share it on the network?

also sharing over the network is much more elegant than a usb drive
---
^ this