This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Keyboard control schemes for platformers.

#1MagnemightPosted 9/7/2013 3:41:44 PM
I'm fully aware that an actual controller is the best method of playing a platformer (though the most popular PC controller, the Xbox controller, is designed for FPSes rather than platformers) but I've found myself without a controller a few times, recently. I also would rather play with a keyboard rather than plug in a controller every time I want to spend a quick half an hour with a platformer.

To anyone who shares this belief, what control schemes do you usually use?

Mine has been through a bit of...an evolution, I suppose. I began using Terraria's control scheme whenever I got the chance-WASD+Space Bar-but that only works with single-button platformers (Sonic is the only one that comes to mind), and the space bar isn't ideal for rapid presses. It's cool to play a game with one hand, though-inb4 sexual connotations

Messing around with the button controls for two-button platformers, I came to the realization that placing one's fingers on the 'j' and 'k' keys was very similar to placing one's fingers on the left and right mouse buttons. Since 'j' usually has that convenient little nub on it for easy access, it's very easy to get one's fingers into that arrangement. They also happen to be easy to remember: 'j' for "jump" and 'k' for "kill".

I've just tried out the Rayman Legends Demo. As everyone who's played Origins would know, the game has three buttons. So I've been using 'K' for running and 'L' for attacking, which took a while to get used to, but it seems to be working out, as I've been able to perfect the two invasion challenges (might not be able to do Land of the Livid Dead, though). I've been using ';' for the simple Murphy actions, and while that is a bit unnatural, I don't believe one ever needs to use Murphy very quickly without time to plan out one's actions beforehand.

My current control scheme, therefore, is:

WASD: Movement, since it uses one's left hand and happens to function identically to FPSes.
J: Jump.
K: Primary Action.
L: Secondary Action.
Semicolon: Uncommon Action
---
Magikoopa Security Force: Defend against the Shy Guys!
Download the demo (offsite): http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=2&id=29243
#2Kokuei05Posted 9/7/2013 4:03:25 PM
I really can't stand WASD for 2D platformers but if I have to like in a good flash game for example; W or arrow up has to be jump or else it'll drive me insane.

For controllers DPADUP can't be jump or else I'd will become said insane.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUAZnjFbOyI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbxOaq6_i1Y
#3claytonbuckleyPosted 9/7/2013 4:51:52 PM
I use a controller, which i leave plugged in all the time because USB ports aren't rare.

If you find yourself without a controller but play platformers enough to make this topic, go buy another controller.

To answer your question i guess i'd go with WASD for movement, Space for jump and mouse 1 & 2 for actions
---
Steam ID - Som!
Origin - Somonah
#4TheIntangibleFatManPosted 9/7/2013 5:27:32 PM
I use Up Down Left Right then put the action buttons on A S D F. It takes a little getting used to, as your hands are switched versus a controller, but I like having up and down aligned.

3D platformers that require you to control the camera are basically unplayable without a controller.
---
why wasn't SOPA passed?
i wish it had so that this board wouldn't exist - PrinceOfFallout
#5DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/7/2013 5:35:59 PM
Directional keys for movement, lctrl for jump, lshift for support action, z for primary combat action, x for secondary combat action, a and c for sub actions, space for pause.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#6Magnemight(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 6:37:59 PM
Hmm. Didn't expect to see so many folks endorsing the arrow keys.
---
Magikoopa Security Force: Defend against the Shy Guys!
Download the demo (offsite): http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=2&id=29243