This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This is why consoles don't get it.

#11arleasPosted 9/7/2013 11:51:05 PM
What PC gamers don't seem to understand is Developers don't like making games, and then having the player base not want to pay full price. Most AAA PC games are lucky to make bank at full price. With everyone waiting until they are like 15 on steam and even then complaining that the price is too high.

That's just the developer spending way too much to develop a game. If you need to sell 5 million units at full price to recover your development costs, you're spending too much money on development.

Also, steam has pretty conclusively proved that lowering the price INCREASES the income...
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/24/less-is-more-gabe-newell-on-game-pricing/

Part of the reason why I have such a large game library is because games are so cheap and it's easy for me to say "sure, I'll give that a shot for $10". If the price is much higher, I'm much more judicious with my money. I'm more likely to spend $120 in $10 increments than $120 in $60 increments.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/KDYNR.jpg
#12OrgeLambartPosted 9/8/2013 11:25:02 AM
arleas posted...
What PC gamers don't seem to understand is Developers don't like making games, and then having the player base not want to pay full price. Most AAA PC games are lucky to make bank at full price. With everyone waiting until they are like 15 on steam and even then complaining that the price is too high.

That's just the developer spending way too much to develop a game. If you need to sell 5 million units at full price to recover your development costs, you're spending too much money on development.

Also, steam has pretty conclusively proved that lowering the price INCREASES the income...
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/24/less-is-more-gabe-newell-on-game-pricing/

Part of the reason why I have such a large game library is because games are so cheap and it's easy for me to say "sure, I'll give that a shot for $10". If the price is much higher, I'm much more judicious with my money. I'm more likely to spend $120 in $10 increments than $120 in $60 increments.

LOL @ this, they spend 5 million dollars because otherwise you PC graphics high settings people will complain the game looks like crap. It's a can't win situation on PC gaming, you cut back on graphics and people complain, you charge money to make up for the high cost of the great graphics and people don't buy the game.

Why do you think outside of the games which really can't work on a console you rarely ever see a game ported to consoles from the PC, you see console games ported to the PC. It's because developers know Console gamers will pay full price for a game, where as PC gamers will wait until it goes on steam sale for 60%+ off. It's common business sense. Don't get me wrong I love the steam deals but I am not delusional enough to think Developers and publishers love them as well.
---
Xboxlive - Orge Lambart , Steam ID - Orge Lambart
#13hamchunkPosted 9/8/2013 11:40:15 AM
While steam sales increase game sales and can lead to increased profits for developers even at a lower price per unit sold that alone won't help get a game financed. No one is going to invest in a game if the developers use that as a positive point. If an investor sees a trend that gamers aren't buying games until they drop in price then they won't bother. No money no game period.
---
Over the top!
Live: Hamchunk PSN: Hamchunk 81
#14steveboblarryPosted 9/8/2013 11:41:30 AM
Damn steam has a lot of haters, yet EA and Ubisoft try and copy them
---
Chief Keef makes music for people who spin around in circles to get dizzy
#15Born LuckyPosted 9/8/2013 11:45:16 AM
OrgeLambart posted...
LOL @ this, they spend 5 million dollars because otherwise you PC graphics high settings people will complain the game looks like crap.

Yeah, because textures costs millions of dollars, and uh .. . wait a minute, no they don't.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#16ShebeskiiPosted 9/8/2013 12:14:52 PM
Born Lucky posted...
OrgeLambart posted...
LOL @ this, they spend 5 million dollars because otherwise you PC graphics high settings people will complain the game looks like crap.

Yeah, because textures costs millions of dollars, and uh .. . wait a minute, no they don't.

He's a moron.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens