The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A console gamer possibly looking to switch to PC

• Topic Archived

You have been randomly selected to participate in the Beta Test of our new message list page. We've rolled out this test in order to get additional feedback and error reports from a wider subset of users. We'll only display this notice once, but permanent links to disable the Beta, provide feedback, and get more information will be located at the bottom of each message list.

To disable this test for now, click here. For more information, please read our announcement about this redesign.

1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. A console gamer possibly looking to switch to PC
2 years ago#1
I have had almost every major console of the last 30 years and I'm thinking about buying a PC and just upgrading it from time to time as needed instead of buying new consoles.

What do I need to know as far as graphics cards, ram, and the like?

What should I be looking for in a gaming computer?

I will want to run the latest games. Can it be done with $1,000 or so?
---
My signature has been on vacation since 2008. Guess it's not coming back.
2 years ago#2
You can get a pretty sick Alienware for $1,000, I'd get that. IMO that's the best deal you're gonna get at that price point.

--
2 years ago#3
If you're willing to build your own, you can do a hell of a lot better than Alienware. Actually, even if you don't build, Alienware is probably one of the worst.
---
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Phantek PH-TC14PE| EVGA GTX 580 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | HAF 912 | HX750 750W
2 years ago#4
BendoHendo posted...
You can get a pretty sick Alienware for $1,000, I'd get that. IMO that's the best deal you're gonna get at that price point.

it's high time you went back on the ignore list.
2 years ago#5
BendoHendo posted...

--

lol
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
2 years ago#6
n64fan1 posted...
I have had almost every major console of the last 30 years and I'm thinking about buying a PC and just upgrading it from time to time as needed instead of buying new consoles.

That's kind of the beauty of PC gaming. The more money you put in, the better it looks. $1000 (if you already have a monitor) would get you a mid-level machine that could run most games at medium to high settings and be playable.
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
(edited by Nicodimus)
2 years ago#7
also lol @ being a console gamer for 30 years

my god
(edited by Ningishzida)
2 years ago#8
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Bfxs

Uhm, maybe this.
---
Nope Nope Nope!!!!
2 years ago#9
Nicodimus posted...
n64fan1 posted...

That's kind of the beauty of PC gaming. The more money you put in, the better it looks. $1000 (if you already have a monitor) would get you a mid-level machine that could run most games at medium to high settings and be playable.

No, 1,000 will get you maxing most games. He can easily get a 760 with that budget, which will max most games.
2 years ago#10
Ningishzida posted...
also lol @ being a console gamer for 30 years

my god

Hahaha I'm 22. I said I have owned almost every console of the last 30 years.
---
My signature has been on vacation since 2008. Guess it's not coming back.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. A console gamer possibly looking to switch to PC

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Message List Beta Test is now on. To disable the Beta, just click here, or you can read more about it, report an error, or provide general feedback.
  • Topic Archived