This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A console gamer possibly looking to switch to PC

#41Mangorush-VPosted 9/8/2013 1:26:54 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
Senkoy posted...
And who says people can do what I can't? Bugs are so inconsistent on PC that you can get some that no one has. I can fix most, but it's usually not worth the time. That stupid Battlefield thing, no one was able to fix it, but it seems only about 5 people in all of the internet encountered it.

Uh....you say it?

How many copies did BF3 sell? Probably more than 5 people on the internet who can't seem to figure out how to work it right. Thus, the vast, vast majority of people are apparently doing something extremely basic that you and 4 other people can't. Derpfaqs. Or maybe you're just so far advanced intellectually that simple, basic tasks are just so far below you that you can't comprehend them. It's probably that.

Oh, and you actually got the "roll of the dice" thing backwards, as expected from a peasant. Bug in a PC game? Luckily (since we don't have to sit around a wait for something) we can fix it. Bug in a console game? GG. Your only course of action is to sit around and hope the developers patch it (which they don't always do, see the Cursed Crusade bug that makes it impossible to progress in the game that has never been fixed because it would "cost too much"). Dat quality. Or the Fez save erase bug, but lets just leave it because we don't want to pay Microsoft, who cares about our customers m i rite.

But yea, oh god that 50 years worth of software might not always work perfectly on the newest technology available. I guess I'd rather be locked into 5-8 year cycles and just throw everything out instead of possibly being minorly inconvenienced every once and a while. Like you said, consoles are for stupid lazy people.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5168/5374088592_77b5747a4b.jpg
---
XBL: Mangorush V
PSN: Mangorush-V
#42Flaktrooper123Posted 9/8/2013 1:30:53 AM
I already played with those very old PCs by 1991. Those things are even harder to be honest. No Windows, no mouse in the command screen, just black screen that you have no idea what to type in there. Of course it is a lot easier today, it may be easy as pie for us, but not many people understand that much about PC, many find messing around with the PC setting is a nightmare, especially comparing with consoles that you can just throw in the disc and it will run unless your machine is broken. And that is before you start to mess around with the hardwares.

I didn't say it is impossible, but people who are unfamiliar need time to learn. Nowadays, they love to sell 'incomplete' and buggy games as well. Many will just get confused when an error message pop up that is actually because of the devs' mistake of leaving out something in the ini file for example. Here is actually where the PC is both at advantage and disadvantage at the same time over the consoles. In consoles, if such thing happen, you have to wait for them to patch it out. While in PC, as soon as you know what is wrong, in many cases it can be fixed very easily. On the other hand, PC users are often forced to do this themselves, because the devs treat the PC as low priority, though once you understand, you can often find the answers in the various forums.
#43SenkoyPosted 9/8/2013 1:54:55 AM(edited)
TimePharaoh posted...
Senkoy posted...
And who says people can do what I can't? Bugs are so inconsistent on PC that you can get some that no one has. I can fix most, but it's usually not worth the time. That stupid Battlefield thing, no one was able to fix it, but it seems only about 5 people in all of the internet encountered it.

Uh....you say it?

How many copies did BF3 sell? Probably more than 5 people on the internet who can't seem to figure out how to work it right. Thus, the vast, vast majority of people are apparently doing something extremely basic that you and 4 other people can't. Derpfaqs. Or maybe you're just so far advanced intellectually that simple, basic tasks are just so far below you that you can't comprehend them. It's probably that.

Oh, and you actually got the "roll of the dice" thing backwards, as expected from a peasant. Bug in a PC game? Luckily (since we don't have to sit around a wait for something) we can fix it. Bug in a console game? GG. Your only course of action is to sit around and hope the developers patch it (which they don't always do, see the Cursed Crusade bug that makes it impossible to progress in the game that has never been fixed because it would "cost too much"). Dat quality. Or the Fez save erase bug, but lets just leave it because we don't want to pay Microsoft, who cares about our customers m i rite.

But yea, oh god that 50 years worth of software might not always work perfectly on the newest technology available. I guess I'd rather be locked into 5-8 year cycles and just throw everything out instead of possibly being minorly inconvenienced every once and a while. Like you said, consoles are for stupid lazy people.

You didn't read the previous posts did you? Me and a few other people did the exact same thing others did to fix it, and it didn't work for us.

And lmao at "minorly inconvenienced every once and a while" more like greatly inconvenienced every single time. It has nothing to do with intelligence, usually you can just google. It's about patience. I don't have the time to fiddle with this crap every time I want to play a game. I just want to play it. And who cares about the hardware being locked? Graphics still improve, but it doesn't matter unless you're a graphics whore. Gameplay is what matters, and on consoles you get the better exclusives and spend more time gaming, not getting the damn thing to work.

Don't get me wrong, PC has its merits. Like I said, steam sales and humble bundles are amazing and when a game actually works right once in a blue moon it can be a great experience, no doubt. But I prefer the consistency of consoles.

As for bugs, yes, it's worse on console, but I don't remember the last time I encountered a bug on a console game that was game breaking, whereas on PC at least 70% of my Steam games require me to find a fix to one or several issues.
---
My fight stick: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2687/sdc10110k.jpg
My team combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoD7BvGUOE
#44JavelinPosted 9/8/2013 2:06:36 AM(edited)
Senkoy posted...
on PC at least 70% of my Steam games require me to find a fix to one or several issues.

LOL. Are you talking about the same Steam that streamlines the install process so you no longer have to manually apply patches, automatically downloads all updates, checks for the latest drivers, and always installs DirectX along with the game? That Steam?

If you have a problem with 70% of Steam games, it's not a problem with Steam or PC gaming. The problem is you.
---
MSI Z77A-GD55 | Intel Core i7-3770K | Kingston HyperX 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB
#45maybecallsPosted 9/8/2013 2:13:14 AM
Just do it. You'll feel cleaner.
#46NingishzidaPosted 9/8/2013 2:17:52 AM
Senkoy posted...
But I prefer the consistency of consoles.

like knowing for sure you gonna get 15-30fps, ahw yeah
#47Sir_TmasPosted 9/8/2013 2:17:55 AM
Welcome TC!

First things first, if you choose to stay here, you should probably add TimePharaoh to your ignore list ASAP as it is quite rare he has anything useful to say and just causes pointless friction on the board.

As many have said - if you feel up to it, I can honestly recommend building one. It really is pretty simple. My hands are shaky as hell and I definitely made some pretty nasty errors in my first build, but I believe the parts are more durable than you think.

Here is a video of a guy building one, so you can see for yourself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

There is a lot of information online about this stuff (aswell as people on here). I can really recommend going this route - it's a fun (but tense!) experience and you learn a considerable amount about computers along the way!

If you are intent on buying a prebuilt - then I'm sorry this was of no help!
---
>_>
<_<
#48The_Darker_OnePosted 9/8/2013 2:57:29 AM
To the guy(s) who said get an Alienware, NO. Don't get an Alienware, it's best to build your own. $1000 you could achieve a good mITX build with a GTX 770 and a i5 4670 (you didn't mention overclocking so go for a H87 chipset board and a non-K processor.)
#49SenkoyPosted 9/8/2013 3:12:47 AM
Javelin posted...
Senkoy posted...
on PC at least 70% of my Steam games require me to find a fix to one or several issues.

LOL. Are you talking about the same Steam that streamlines the install process so you no longer have to manually apply patches, automatically downloads all updates, checks for the latest drivers, and always installs DirectX along with the game? That Steam?

If you have a problem with 70% of Steam games, it's not a problem with Steam or PC gaming. The problem is you.

Oh really? And how is that? How am I making games not work? And funny how you don't address that fact that your own link proved sometimes there are no fixes.
---
My fight stick: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2687/sdc10110k.jpg
My team combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoD7BvGUOE
#50sonicteam2k1Posted 9/8/2013 3:31:04 AM
UnyieldingBR posted...
Nicodimus posted...
n64fan1 posted...
I have had almost every major console of the last 30 years and I'm thinking about buying a PC and just upgrading it from time to time as needed instead of buying new consoles.

What do I need to know as far as graphics cards, ram, and the like?

What should I be looking for in a gaming computer?

I will want to run the latest games. Can it be done with $1,000 or so?

That's kind of the beauty of PC gaming. The more money you put in, the better it looks. $1000 (if you already have a monitor) would get you a mid-level machine that could run most games at medium to high settings and be playable.

No, 1,000 will get you maxing most games. He can easily get a 760 with that budget, which will max most games.

This
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own