This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A console gamer possibly looking to switch to PC

#61PooTPosted 9/8/2013 6:26:30 AM
Just buy an alienware, you'll thank me later.
#62mjc0961Posted 9/8/2013 6:42:23 AM
ajko000 posted...
One thing to keep in mind with gaming computers, well, multiple things:

1. Make sure you find a stable Motherboard.
2. Make sure you get as much RAM as you can.
3. Make sure you get a good, if not modern or future Graphics Card.
4. Make sure you get a good Processor.
5. Make sure your Power Supply is up to par with the above.

That's pretty much it, other than that it's pretty much luxuries.

In other words, get good parts.

Thank you for that stunning display of intelligence, nobody else would have ever thought to buy good parts.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#63SetzeraPosted 9/8/2013 7:01:31 AM
TC, here is some great advice. Don't pay attention to 50% of the replies you've gotten, you may choose which 50% though.

Also, you really can have both. If you have a console now, keep it.. if you want a new next gen console, wait until it goes on sale or comes within budget range for you.

For a PC, yes, $1000 will get you a great gaming PC, especially if you can build it yourself or have help from a friend. Store bought / Alienware is over priced 95% of the time.

As someone with a great PC, I can tell you, it is awesome playing a game on Ultra, and you see detail you've never seen before. But.. if you go PC only, and happen to like some of the console only games, you will miss not having a console.

Have both, even if you have to stay previous gen in consoles for a year or two extra.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Ultra PSU | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
#64ThePylonPosted 9/8/2013 7:18:23 AM
Ningishzida posted...
Flaktrooper123 posted...
Using PC is certainly not child's play.

even if you said this in 1993 i would have laughed at you. the year is 2013, btw.

Lol this reminded me that I was born in 1987 yet 1993 I could run a game from dos.....I had better reading skills then most but still.
Now since the introduction of the "it just works" technological "revolution", it takes me longer and longer to find somebody who even knows how to find their own routers local ip address in command prompt.

I reckon that by 2030 using dos will be cherished ancient skill, like fixing a faucet or changing a light fixture(both those things are as easy as dos) is now.

Hey TC take a look at the website "logicalincrements" just google it. It basically tells you what PC parts you should buy based on tier. $1000 puts you in some of the best pcs you can get before the ridiculous $1000 processors and titan cards(you need neither).

Make sure you buy a SSD to load you OS on. It takes some time to set it up so your not getting all your temp files loaded onto it(will killl the drive) but the startup time you will save will get that time back tenfold.

If your in canada(west side) the pc store I use is memory express, they have different daily deals and if you can find the same part for cheaper elsewhere they will price match. They have very nice Mobo/cpu combos for a good deal. Very nice guys in there and they will even mount the processor on the motherboard for free.
---
I play too many different games to even care.
#65huyiPosted 9/8/2013 8:06:15 AM
The_Darker_One posted...
To the guy(s) who said get an Alienware, NO. Don't get an Alienware, it's best to build your own. $1000 you could achieve a good mITX build with a GTX 770 and a i5 4670 (you didn't mention overclocking so go for a H87 chipset board and a non-K processor.)

lol at the guy who said alienware XD, but seriously even a pre built system is better than alienware, also once you go to pc you never go back, ever!
---
UK Female Gamer
PC specs: AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD6670 8GB RAM 1TB HDD DLC THE GAME http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h472NmF1HEQ
#66Fou LuPosted 9/8/2013 8:20:02 AM
Nicodimus posted...
n64fan1 posted...
I have had almost every major console of the last 30 years and I'm thinking about buying a PC and just upgrading it from time to time as needed instead of buying new consoles.

What do I need to know as far as graphics cards, ram, and the like?

What should I be looking for in a gaming computer?

I will want to run the latest games. Can it be done with $1,000 or so?

That's kind of the beauty of PC gaming. The more money you put in, the better it looks. $1000 (if you already have a monitor) would get you a mid-level machine that could run most games at medium to high settings and be playable.

No, $1000 will get you something that will be better than whatever comes AFTER the PS4/Xbox One.

Seriously, PC gaming is the way to go. Right there, with $1000, you saved money by not needing to buy a PS4/Xbox One AND what comes after. Then you throw in the fact you're going to be buying AAA games that are on the consoles for max $10 if you wait a little while (and even then, most PC games are always $10 cheaper than a console version right off the bat). This round, I'm completely dumping consoles, they're not getting my money anymore since they can't learn to price digital games correctly.
---
I smolder with generic rage.
#67DerPancakePosted 9/8/2013 8:20:59 AM
egglink posted...

Hey, check it out. Some useful advice. Some legitimate useful advice. MaxCHEATER64, you are a cool guy.

Da hell? I was the first one to give him a build, and I get no recognition?
---
Nope Nope Nope!!!!
#68MaxCHEATER64Posted 9/8/2013 8:39:10 AM
DerPancake posted...
Da hell? I was the first one to give him a build, and I get no recognition?

Most of what I said is stuff in my own build, so if you contributed to that you indirectly contributed to my post.
---
i5-3570K | HD 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T
http://i.imgur.com/xUwa3va.png
#69BowsaaPosted 9/8/2013 8:47:29 AM
Nicodimus posted...
That's kind of the beauty of PC gaming. The more money you put in, the better it looks. $1000 (if you already have a monitor) would get you a mid-level machine that could run most games at medium to high settings and be playable.

$1k will easily run all games on ultra/max@1080P. I spent $650 in February and can still do high/ultra/max with ease, depending on the game.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#70ajko000Posted 9/8/2013 12:26:04 PM
mjc0961 posted...
ajko000 posted...
One thing to keep in mind with gaming computers, well, multiple things:

1. Make sure you find a stable Motherboard.
2. Make sure you get as much RAM as you can.
3. Make sure you get a good, if not modern or future Graphics Card.
4. Make sure you get a good Processor.
5. Make sure your Power Supply is up to par with the above.

That's pretty much it, other than that it's pretty much luxuries.

In other words, get good parts.

Thank you for that stunning display of intelligence, nobody else would have ever thought to buy good parts.

Oh I'm sorry, I was just trying to be the slightest bit helpful. Calm down please.