This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A console gamer possibly looking to switch to PC

#71o0stoneduk0oPosted 9/8/2013 2:42:15 PM
Well I can't think of many games I have had major problems with on the pc. When I played fallout NV on the 360 I reached a point where it would literally freeze up, I couldn't progress with the game. I do think that if your having trouble with 70% of games on steam then something is up with you, no offence.
---
I don't smoke dope, I don't drink bourbon, all I want to do is shake my turban.
#72JKatarnPosted 9/8/2013 3:49:57 PM
Nicodimus posted...
n64fan1 posted...
I have had almost every major console of the last 30 years and I'm thinking about buying a PC and just upgrading it from time to time as needed instead of buying new consoles.

What do I need to know as far as graphics cards, ram, and the like?

What should I be looking for in a gaming computer?

I will want to run the latest games. Can it be done with $1,000 or so?

That's kind of the beauty of PC gaming. The more money you put in, the better it looks. $1000 (if you already have a monitor) would get you a mid-level machine that could run most games at medium to high settings and be playable.

Actually, a $1000 or thereabouts machine will run all but a few very demanding games at high/ultra at 1080p with a good to great framerate.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#73JKatarnPosted 9/8/2013 4:00:15 PM
Mangorush-V posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
Senkoy posted...
And who says people can do what I can't? Bugs are so inconsistent on PC that you can get some that no one has. I can fix most, but it's usually not worth the time. That stupid Battlefield thing, no one was able to fix it, but it seems only about 5 people in all of the internet encountered it.

Uh....you say it?

How many copies did BF3 sell? Probably more than 5 people on the internet who can't seem to figure out how to work it right. Thus, the vast, vast majority of people are apparently doing something extremely basic that you and 4 other people can't. Derpfaqs. Or maybe you're just so far advanced intellectually that simple, basic tasks are just so far below you that you can't comprehend them. It's probably that.

Oh, and you actually got the "roll of the dice" thing backwards, as expected from a peasant. Bug in a PC game? Luckily (since we don't have to sit around a wait for something) we can fix it. Bug in a console game? GG. Your only course of action is to sit around and hope the developers patch it (which they don't always do, see the Cursed Crusade bug that makes it impossible to progress in the game that has never been fixed because it would "cost too much"). Dat quality. Or the Fez save erase bug, but lets just leave it because we don't want to pay Microsoft, who cares about our customers m i rite.

But yea, oh god that 50 years worth of software might not always work perfectly on the newest technology available. I guess I'd rather be locked into 5-8 year cycles and just throw everything out instead of possibly being minorly inconvenienced every once and a while. Like you said, consoles are for stupid lazy people.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5168/5374088592_77b5747a4b.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....that's probably the most accurate photo/representation you can get of TimePharoah.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
#74NicodimusPosted 9/8/2013 4:27:06 PM
JKatarn posted...
Nicodimus posted...
n64fan1 posted...
I have had almost every major console of the last 30 years and I'm thinking about buying a PC and just upgrading it from time to time as needed instead of buying new consoles.

That's kind of the beauty of PC gaming. The more money you put in, the better it looks. $1000 (if you already have a monitor) would get you a mid-level machine that could run most games at medium to high settings and be playable.

Actually, a $1000 or thereabouts machine will run all but a few very demanding games at high/ultra at 1080p with a good to great framerate.

True. I guess when I made that statement, I wasn't thinking about 1080p. I guess a lot of people still use that though.
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#75SenkoyPosted 9/8/2013 4:27:24 PM
o0stoneduk0o posted...
Well I can't think of many games I have had major problems with on the pc. When I played fallout NV on the 360 I reached a point where it would literally freeze up, I couldn't progress with the game. I do think that if your having trouble with 70% of games on steam then something is up with you, no offence.

People say this but how? How am I making games crash on boot up? Maybe I'm just unlucky but every time I have to go to forums to fix an issue there are tons and tons of threads with people asking for help running their games. When I go to the forums for their console counterpart, there are no threads like that.
---
My fight stick: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2687/sdc10110k.jpg
My team combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoD7BvGUOE
#76MaxCHEATER64Posted 9/8/2013 4:41:26 PM
The only bugs I can really think of are the infamous cursor lag on DS1.
---
i5-3570K | HD 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T
http://i.imgur.com/xUwa3va.png
#77JKatarnPosted 9/8/2013 5:07:45 PM
Nicodimus posted...
JKatarn posted...
Nicodimus posted...
n64fan1 posted...

True. I guess when I made that statement, I wasn't thinking about 1080p. I guess a lot of people still use that though.

The vast majority of monitors/televisions used today max out at 1080p, though you do have the odd 1920x1200 monitor. Higher resolution monitors are the exception, not the rule.
---
#78NicodimusPosted 9/8/2013 5:58:32 PM
With TVs, there is no doubt that 1080p is the standard.

With monitors, I thought 1080p was the standard like, 5 or 6 years ago and now 1440p is overtaking it.
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#79HighOnPhazonPosted 9/8/2013 6:16:18 PM
Whats up with all these whiny console peasants in this topic?
---
GT/Steam: AncientToaster
i5 3750K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 2GB / Corsair TX650
#80HighOnPhazonPosted 9/8/2013 6:17:56 PM
immortaltech6 posted...
HighOnPhazon posted...
Welcome. Once you've tasted the luscious fruit of PC gaming you will NEVER go back to eating the rotten, worm infested feces of consoles.

Lol @ PC only narrow-minded graphic whores like this putting their rig stats in their sig in bold and using it to build their superiority complex. Nothing else going for ya huh?

I have plenty going for me.

And I'm about the least graphic whore gamer on the planet. I play computer games of all kinds, new, old etc. Plus my computer stats aren't even top tier, I post them because I'm proud of my build that I put together.

Obviously I have much more going for me than you do.
---
GT/Steam: AncientToaster
i5 3750K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 2GB / Corsair TX650