This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If I hook a TV up to a PC to use as a monitor, am I gonna have a bad time?

#1SpringerPosted 9/8/2013 8:24:49 AM
I'm planning on buying a PC for Cyber Monday and a big 60" TV and I want to use my current 32" tv as a monitor. Would it be a train wreck to use my current TV as a monitor?
---
**** taco bell
**** Matt Kenseth
#2Eli_SamaPosted 9/8/2013 8:33:36 AM(edited)
Depends on your tv's resolution, I have mine connected to a 40" 1080p led tv and everything works fine
---
Asrock 970 DE3/U3S3 \ M12 II Bz 520w / Ballistik 12Gb DDR3 / Ocz 64Gb SSD / HDD 500Gb / XFX HD 7950 3Gb BE Oc / FX 8150 / Hyper Evo 212 / Haf 932 Advanced
#3SnadadosPosted 9/8/2013 8:43:49 AM
Depends on the TV and the types of games you play.

If your TV has poor response times and you play fighting games of really fast first person shooter and you can notice a couple frames of latency then it may really annoy you.

I use a 1080p 32 inch TV on my PC and I quite like it.
I have no trouble watching movies, browsing the web or playing games.
I can sit back and still read menu text just fine.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#4knightimexPosted 9/8/2013 8:52:49 AM
I have a Samsung 40in 1080p led TV.

With game mode on, PC works petfectly fine.
---
Being shocked why a console can't perform on the same level of PC is like being shocked why a pickup truck isn't on the same level as a train.
#5UberLurkerPosted 9/8/2013 9:28:07 AM
All three of the PCs in my house are hooked up to TVs of various sizes (main gaming PC's hooked up to a monitor too) and they all work great.

If you intend to use it from a couch or anything other than the usual computer desk setup then I recommend Universal Remote if you have a smartphone. It has remotes for many different functions but even just the basic keyboard/mouse emulator gets the job done quite well. There are also some wireless keyboard/trackpad combos that will also let you do your thing while relaxing in style.

Also if you're going to be sitting some distance from the screen you may want to increase your text size/DPI so everything isn't microscopic.

So yeah, PC + TV = good stuff =)
#6reincarnator07Posted 9/8/2013 9:33:57 AM
All depends on the TV.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero