This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Aww, look at these cute little Nettops

#11JKatarnPosted 9/8/2013 3:26:23 PM
chimichanga XD posted...
rusty12000 posted...
Your sig sickens me TC....

you're like the hive mind of the pc gaming community
EA sucks! Windows 8 sucks! PC gaming master race, Gaben, Activision sucks, COD sucks, etc.

Except Windows 8 was pretty consistently trashed by the press when it was released, with the consensus seeming to be that it's "ok" once you're accustomed to it, far from the "best" version of Windows. It's an OS released for desktop systems that was clearly built around tablet computers, so of course it's far from optimal for desktop users and it throws out years and years of Windows OS design in an attempt to chase the tablet market.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#12ShubPosted 9/8/2013 3:29:14 PM
I like these personally:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/nuc.html
Different price range, of course.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#13steveboblarryPosted 9/8/2013 3:30:11 PM
JKatarn posted...
chimichanga XD posted...
rusty12000 posted...

EA sucks! Windows 8 sucks! PC gaming master race, Gaben, Activision sucks, COD sucks, etc.

Except Windows 8 was pretty consistently trashed by the press when it was released, with the consensus seeming to be that it's "ok" once you're accustomed to it, far from the "best" version of Windows. It's an OS released for desktop systems that was clearly built around tablet computers, so of course it's far from optimal for desktop users and it throws out years and years of Windows OS design in an attempt to chase the tablet market.

this
---
Chief Keef makes music for people who spin around in circles to get dizzy
#14wizardmonPosted 9/8/2013 3:33:29 PM
JKatarn posted...
chimichanga XD posted...
rusty12000 posted...

Free yourself from the opinions of others, then make a list of why Windows 8 could possibly be the greatest Windows yet.
Don't think about how it looks, think about how it works, why does it make sense for the start screen to have tiles like that, just think of how much more easy it is to use compared to a dropdown tree menu.

People will let media change their opinions, the media will always turn to controversy to get people to visit their sites/make them money. The whole "Tablet OS" is a non-issue, it's a created buzz-idea that reaches far to draw in pageviews.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#15wizardmonPosted 9/8/2013 3:35:34 PM
Also to reply to the topic, why don't you just get a much cheaper Raspberry Pi?
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#16JKatarnPosted 9/8/2013 7:40:43 PM
wizardmon posted...
JKatarn posted...
chimichanga XD posted...
rusty12000 posted...

Free yourself from the opinions of others, then make a list of why Windows 8 could possibly be the greatest Windows yet.
Don't think about how it looks, think about how it works, why does it make sense for the start screen to have tiles like that, just think of how much more easy it is to use compared to a dropdown tree menu.

People will let media change their opinions, the media will always turn to controversy to get people to visit their sites/make them money. The whole "Tablet OS" is a non-issue, it's a created buzz-idea that reaches far to draw in pageviews.

This is not the opinion of others, it's my OWN opinion based on my time using the OS. I absolutely can see the utility of the OS if you're using a tablet form factor PC, and understand how it would make sense for that application, but their changes are frustrating and counter-intuitive (IMO) for a desktop mouse+keyboard user. Can these changes be worked around? Of course, but I don't understand why, rather than improve on the weakpoints of the 7 desktop, they completely threw out the traditional desktop setup in favor of the Metro system. It's hardly their worst OS, and I understand it has some nice tweaks/changes under the hood, but I see absolutely no reason to upgrade from 7 as it currently stands/choose 8 over 7 when given a choice (unless you're using an i7 ultrabook tablet, in which case it makes perfect sense).
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#172Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 9/8/2013 7:49:39 PM
JKatarn posted...
wizardmon posted...
JKatarn posted...
chimichanga XD posted...
rusty12000 posted...

This is not the opinion of others, it's my OWN opinion based on my time using the OS. I absolutely can see the utility of the OS if you're using a tablet form factor PC, and understand how it would make sense for that application, but their changes are frustrating and counter-intuitive (IMO) for a desktop mouse+keyboard user. Can these changes be worked around? Of course, but I don't understand why, rather than improve on the weakpoints of the 7 desktop, they completely threw out the traditional desktop setup in favor of the Metro system. It's hardly their worst OS, and I understand it has some nice tweaks/changes under the hood, but I see absolutely no reason to upgrade from 7 as it currently stands/choose 8 over 7 when given a choice (unless you're using an i7 ultrabook tablet, in which case it makes perfect sense).

Because you can download any number of tools that give you back the start menu for Windows 8. I wouldn't bother upgrading from 7 but if given a choice 8 is the better option unless something you need specifically doesn't work with it.
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
#18GTRagnarokPosted 9/8/2013 9:54:34 PM(edited)
JKatarn posted...
but their changes are frustrating and counter-intuitive (IMO) for a desktop mouse+keyboard user

What are these changes exactly that suddenly make it non-intuitive for KB/M users? I've used Windows 8 for months and my experience has been 99% like it was for Windows 7. The ONLY difference is in the look of the start menu. Once I had the start menu set up to how I wanted it (adding shutdown and restart tiles, in particular), it was even better than the traditional one. I don't have to use any of the fullscreen Metro tablet apps/programs. I don't have to even touch the charms bar ever.

JKatarn posted...
they completely threw out the traditional desktop setup in favor of the Metro system.

They threw out the traditional desktop? What are you talking about? Everything is still there! The desktop and Metro are separate things. You don't have to use Metro if you don't want to, so why are you complaining about it?

---
M17x R4 | i7-3720QM | 2GB 7970M | 16GB DDR3 1600 | 128GB Samsung PM830 mSATA SSD |
#192Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 9/8/2013 9:51:37 PM
GTRagnarok posted...
JKatarn posted...
but their changes are frustrating and counter-intuitive (IMO) for a desktop mouse+keyboard user

What are these changes exactly that suddenly make it non-intuitive for KB/M users? I've used Windows 8 for months and my experience has been 99% like it was for Windows 7. The ONLY difference is in the look of the start menu. Once I had the start menu set up to how I wanted it (adding shutdown and restart tiles, in particular), it was even better than the traditional one. I don't have to use any of the fullscreen Metro tablet apps/programs. I don't have to even touch the charms bar ever.

2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...
they completely threw out the traditional desktop setup in favor of the Metro system.

They threw out the traditional desktop? What are you talking about? Everything is still there! The desktop and Metro are separate things. You don't have to use Metro if you don't want to, so why are you complaining about it?

Not sure how you quoted like that but that was the guy I was replying to who said that.
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
#20GTRagnarokPosted 9/8/2013 9:54:52 PM
Fixed...
---
M17x R4 | i7-3720QM | 2GB 7970M | 16GB DDR3 1600 | 128GB Samsung PM830 mSATA SSD |