This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Next gen or PC?

#1auntfafajkPosted 9/8/2013 11:21:47 AM
Will $400 or $500 be enough to build a decent gaming PC? Looking at all the comments and such I am starting to have doubts about the new consoles and I am worried about wasting money on them. Should I go next gen or PC?
---
I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
#2reincarnator07Posted 9/8/2013 11:23:49 AM
You will get better hardware for the price with consoles. The cost evens out over time though, as the software is a lot cheaper on PC, and you don't need to pay extra to play online.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#3maybecallsPosted 9/8/2013 11:26:16 AM
If you're that uncertain and uninformed, I wouldn't buy any hardware.
#4SnadadosPosted 9/8/2013 11:26:51 AM
For that price you're better off with a console.
You should look to spend somewhere around $700 - $800 for a gaming PC if you're starting from scratch.

PCs have larger up front investments but pay off in the long run through better prices on the games.

Consoles have a lower up front cost but their games end up costing you more over time.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#5ArsenicOverlordPosted 9/8/2013 11:29:02 AM
Yeah, for $400-500 initial budget, console is the way to go.
---
Phosphorus? Pfffft, who needs 'em??
Happy user of PowerFAQs 1.11
#6greekgamerPosted 9/8/2013 11:29:52 AM
Next gen consols now or if you want to wait a couple of years PC.
Consoles are just better for now and last you longer. Never had a PC that could keep up to the standereds for 8 years.
---
[ = [__] = ]
[ + [__] -:- ]
#7auntfafajk(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2013 11:31:48 AM
How often do you generally need to upgrade a PC to keep up? Can you use a standard Xbox/PS controller with PCs? I don't do well with mouse and keyboard, generally. Do you have to be really tech-savvy to build a good PC?
---
I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
#8godplaysSNESPosted 9/8/2013 11:31:59 AM
Consoles are only good for the exclusives.

The cost for online gaming and more expensive games make the consoles more expensive in the long run.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#9blade6321Posted 9/8/2013 11:34:54 AM(edited)
Snadados posted...
For that price you're better off with a console.
You should look to spend somewhere around $700 - $800 for a gaming PC if you're starting from scratch.

PCs have larger up front investments but pay off in the long run through better prices on the games.

Consoles have a lower up front cost but their games end up costing you more over time.

---
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044407572/
-Crabdom Ambassador.
#10CommonJoePosted 9/8/2013 11:55:34 AM
Unless you're seriously dying to play games like right now I'd just wait and save. No reason to get a console just because you only have such and such money to spend atm. Save up to 700-1000 (if you want something decent and not just something a couple steps above console) and get a PC then.
---
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. Lets revitalize this game eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FUge6ghaIo&hd=1