This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Random questions for people who scientifically know gaming parts?

#1aiyobroPosted 9/8/2013 12:08:19 PM
Feel free to add to this discussion.

When someone says eight core 1.75ghz

is that to say they are using 10ghz?

Do they need more power for 2x the ghz or just the same amount of energy as before but doubled?

What is the effective way to measure GPU besides fps?

Passmark shows the GPU's of the nextbox and ps4 as having comparable scores, but they're CPU scores. Someone said they will virtually be the same, even though the teraflops differ between 1.2 and 1.8. Are they really not that different?

Is 8 gb of unified ram better then a 4 gb graphics card with a cpu that draws from 4 gigabytes?

Why are integrated cpu/gpu's in the xbox and ps4 so extremely powerful at least in graphics compared to consumer tech? Are they not?
#2ShubPosted 9/8/2013 12:11:25 PM
aiyobro posted...
When someone says eight core 1.75ghz

is that to say they are using 10ghz?

No, it's parallel computing. Think of it like this: you have eight horses and each can gallop at the same speed. They can't magically combine into one large horse that can run eight times faster.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3SmoboHashPosted 9/8/2013 12:19:55 PM
Extra cores are like extra workers on a job. The speedup is rarely 100%, but it can be close on the right job.
#4aiyobro(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2013 12:20:23 PM
Hmmm, but is dual core 1.5ghz almost the same as a single core 3ghz?
#5SmoboHashPosted 9/8/2013 12:27:01 PM(edited)
It depends on the processor. A 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 (4 cores) is faster than a 4 GHz AMD FX-4150 (also 4 cores)

Just look up actual CPU benchmarks to find the information, you can't just compare GHz statistics directly. Here's a good site for it:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/342

Otherwise, give us the specific CPU models that you're trying to compare.
#6ShubPosted 9/8/2013 12:27:00 PM
aiyobro posted...

In some situations, perhaps, but not always... it's a bad idea to think of it that way, so put that out of your mind.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#7Reaper_MinionPosted 9/8/2013 12:27:44 PM
aiyobro posted...

It's depends on the CPU and how well the applications utilize the second core.
---
/|\ http://i.imgur.com/hK9c1lo.jpg?1
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY
#8aiyobro(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2013 12:32:00 PM
SmoboHash posted...

Otherwise, give us the specific CPU models that you're trying to compare.

I just didn't get why they would say eight core 1.25ghz and not actually 10ghz, but I know some programs are not designed around different #'s of cores.

I've heard people say though intel are way ahead of the line of amd's. That you essentially have to spend the same amount of money... but I also believe games in the future will be more optimized for eight core.

I just want to play japanese games on a xbox is all....XD
#9BogePosted 9/8/2013 12:39:58 PM
For me, since the AMD + chips like the 2800+...it was 2083mhz, but they called it a 2800 to kind of let you know it's on par with an Intel 2.8ghz chip. Since then, I've given up on the clock speed and just check benchmarks to know what works best for what I'm wanting to do with it.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#10LazyyAmericanPosted 9/8/2013 12:52:27 PM
It's blast processing
---
Quite the dilemma....to coexist in a world that ostracizes you into obscurity