This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Program Files question

#1KillerzOverHerePosted 9/8/2013 2:33:13 PM
necessary to install games and programs in the program files and/or program files (x86) (32 bit) ?

Instead of installing say CCleaner in C://Program Files blah blah blah, can I just put it in C://?

And if it is necessary to install in program files or program files x86, why?

And if not, why is it there?

Which brings me to my next point

say

C:// is OS w/ SSD

and D:// is large game HDD

Can i install steam on the C://

and all steam games and other games for that matter, on the D:// drive?
#2ElDudorinoPosted 9/8/2013 2:37:55 PM
I'm not sure how it works in Steam because I'm at work and can't check, but I'm pretty sure it lets you place the Steam Games folder elsewhere from the main Steam install. For any standard application you're free to install it wherever you please. However, some amateurish/buggy programs might end up giving you grief and trying to redirect to Program Files even though you put them somewhere else! I haven't seen that in a long time but I remember a couple programs a good while back didn't work right because I didn't install them in their default directory. This would have been years ago.

I hate the Program Files directories and I never use them for games. I wouldn't just put them in C:\, though, if you install a lot of stuff - it might get cluttered! Usually best to set them up in C:\Games\ or whatever just for organization's sake. You'll figure out the best way to do it for you, though.
#3KillerzOverHere(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2013 2:47:29 PM
ElDudorino posted...
I'm not sure how it works in Steam because I'm at work and can't check, but I'm pretty sure it lets you place the Steam Games folder elsewhere from the main Steam install. For any standard application you're free to install it wherever you please. However, some amateurish/buggy programs might end up giving you grief and trying to redirect to Program Files even though you put them somewhere else! I haven't seen that in a long time but I remember a couple programs a good while back didn't work right because I didn't install them in their default directory. This would have been years ago.

I hate the Program Files directories and I never use them for games. I wouldn't just put them in C:\, though, if you install a lot of stuff - it might get cluttered! Usually best to set them up in C:\Games\ or whatever just for organization's sake. You'll figure out the best way to do it for you, though.

so why are the program files there then? for newbish users who don't know where to install a program?
#4Golden MavenPosted 9/8/2013 2:47:51 PM
KillerzOverHere posted...
Can i install steam on the C://

and all steam games and other games for that matter, on the D:// drive?

Yes. It's what I do.
#5ElDudorinoPosted 9/8/2013 2:51:57 PM
KillerzOverHere posted...
so why are the program files there then? for newbish users who don't know where to install a program?

Basically, yes.

It keeps your basic user from installing 1,000 programs to their root directory and cluttering things up to the point that they can no longer find the Windows folder. And honestly, it's not like the Program Files Folder itself is a bad IDEA- in fact, it's a very good idea. But the problem is developers/publishers and the directory structures they envision. They're the assclowns who decide that instead of just having Program Files\Tomb Raider you should have Program Files\Squaresoft\Eidos\Tomb Raider Collection\Tomb Raider 1.

I wouldn't have a problem just using the default directory structure for everything if installshields didn't consistently have the idea to hide my actual programs behind the publisher's name and developer's name and whatever other dumb stuff they came up with.