This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New to MMORPGs, do they ever get exciting or are they all fetch quests?

#11AsucaHayashiPosted 9/8/2013 5:45:01 PM
someguyshand posted...
This is the thing that baffles me with MMORPGs. If your game isn't fun to play through, what incentive is there to keep on playing in hopes that the "end game" is good, or even that if you would like it?

Maybe something I'm not really seeing.

time and money invested
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#12Orestes417Posted 9/8/2013 5:45:48 PM
You're missing the fact that most of the group content that defines the genre is at endgame. The only hints you see of it while leveling are generally dungeons and BGs. Basically if you're soloing and expecting to see the appeal you're doing it profoundly wrong.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#13Devil_wings00Posted 9/8/2013 5:51:37 PM
Well MMO's are a social thing. If you aren't getting into group and stuff then ya it's going to be boring as bat s***. I know some people are going to bash me or whatever but WoW's post cata leveling is pretty good and I've heard great things about GW2 when leveling. From what I've hard about TOR the best part of that game is the leveling (all the VO etc) and that's completely free these days ;p
---
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, Intel 335 SSD (boot).
#14BogePosted 9/8/2013 5:55:19 PM
99% of the quests are checkpoint hopping, connect the dots quests, where you just go to the checkpoint, kill the checkpoint, go back to the new checkpoint, get your reward, get new checkpoint, go to the checkpoint, grab the checkpoints, then go to the checkpoint and collect your reward.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#15DerPancakePosted 9/8/2013 5:57:39 PM
MMOs are not about the game, its about the community.
---
Nope Nope Nope!!!!
#16PathlessBulletPosted 9/8/2013 9:18:29 PM
DerPancake posted...

DerPancake for President.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#17SinisterSlayPosted 9/8/2013 9:22:03 PM
All MMO's are just "Kill x and and collect y of z" quests over and over.

The only game I ever seen that's different is Star Trek Online. All of its main quests (episodes) are full story lines that are decently unique each time.
Not a single quest asks you to kill an endless supply of enemies and collect a useless item.

Actually, the end game stuff is the boring stuff.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#18machetemanPosted 9/8/2013 9:31:58 PM
Everybody is pretty much ignoring the obvious here.

FFXIV ARR is boring. Everything about the game is boring, mindless, and void of any fun.

Y
#19Solidshooter24Posted 9/8/2013 9:49:44 PM
PathlessBullet posted...
DerPancake posted...

DerPancake for President.

---
PSN: Solidshooter24 Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/epicarcadegaming
Crash bandicoot 2 let's play! I also play SF4 and MK Online! Check it out!
#20dekouPosted 9/8/2013 10:03:40 PM
Guild Wars 2 has fun "events" instead of quests. They're basically quests that really take place in the world, so that you see a Centaur siege, break it, get rewarded and can see the Centaurs flee and regroup. Afterwards, someone may ask you to attack the Centaurs' base, etc.

FFXIV is very boring in the beginning. It has the typical and bad "50 hour tutorials are fun!" design.