This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you guys stand playing at such choppy frame rates i.e. 60FPS?

#41BlackWizardMagusPosted 9/8/2013 10:04:59 PM
Any of you guys calling other's peasants wanna float some money, or premium PC parts, my way? While I predict the death of consoles at the end of this generation and I'm trying to go PC, I still find it funny that the PC guys say it's not the pricey to get into PC gaming, then turn around and brag about how pimped out their rig is and bash everyone not up to snuff. So if you wanna spread the gospel of PC gaming, send an i7 my way, wouldja?
---
"The black wind howls. One among you will shortly perish"
Magus
#42PaukenPosted 9/8/2013 10:33:40 PM(edited)
On games with low-end-enough graphics, hell yeah 120 FPS all the way baby.

On the vast majority of games out there: a stable 60 FPS is fine, so long as it doesn't dip below that constantly.

On ultra high end emulation I.e. Star Fox Assault: I'd love it to run at 60 FPS/30 FPS (the game itself switches from 60 to 30 when going on foot or all range), but apparently I'm missing some vitally important config setting that allows the game to run with zero dips in framerate (it sure as hell isn't my hardware, cause setting it to limit the framerate at 60 regardless of what the game NORMALLY runs at makes it run with zero hiccups, but as soon as I let Dolphin figure out the correct frame limit that the game asks for [i.e. auto or audio throttle], it dips majorly every time 30 enemies are on screen at once), so I have to make due with jerky framerates on those games (that or play it on actual hardware, which for whatever reason lacks that problem...too bad GC pads suck for running-n-gunning compared to 360 pads).

Edit: So we're clear, I own Star Fox Assault. As in, the actual disk. So I'm not pirating with my last paragraph.
#43DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/8/2013 10:42:24 PM
Bunch of 60hz peasants.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#44SteamsterPosted 9/8/2013 10:49:37 PM
Boge posted...
I wouldn't know. Probably. I have a 670, but 60fps is good enough for me. I save money that way and have a little more sanity knowing that I'm not under my target FPS. Hell, I wish I was a 30fps peasant. That would be even easier to maintain and I'd be able to save even more money. I like money...more than 120fps, that's for sure.

Let me just spell this out for you since you seem to really be struggling with comprehending this thread.

http://i.imgur.com/J1MMs7o.jpg
#45Mogu_MoguPosted 9/9/2013 4:27:27 AM
Steamster posted...
Boge posted...
I wouldn't know. Probably. I have a 670, but 60fps is good enough for me. I save money that way and have a little more sanity knowing that I'm not under my target FPS. Hell, I wish I was a 30fps peasant. That would be even easier to maintain and I'd be able to save even more money. I like money...more than 120fps, that's for sure.

Let me just spell this out for you since you seem to really be struggling with comprehending this thread.

http://i.imgur.com/J1MMs7o.jpg

Being a douche is still being a douche. No matter what kind of idiotic pictures you may present or excuses you like to make for yourself.
---
In the chronicles of my life
there is a legend in which I change 'history' into 'herstory'.
#46ThePCElitistPosted 9/9/2013 4:33:39 AM
Mogu_Mogu posted...
DerPancake posted...
You guys are so picky, honestly I can play anything as long as it doesn't go below 20 fps.

It's mostly just elitists being elitists.

Hello
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#47Ch3wyPosted 9/9/2013 4:34:51 AM
lol 120fps.

I play my games at 600fps on my plasma TV.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#48PraetorXynPosted 9/9/2013 4:55:36 AM
Mogu_Mogu posted...
DerPancake posted...
You guys are so picky, honestly I can play anything as long as it doesn't go below 20 fps.

It's mostly just elitists being elitists.

ITP: People with standards are elitists.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#49MissHedgehogPosted 9/9/2013 5:12:04 AM
I was unfortunate enough to really get into TF2 while only having a laptop. So playing with a steady 20fps with the graphics on low is what I'm used to. Occasional drops to 5fps... Not much fun, but if you really like a game I guess it's mostly worth it. Since two days I get a steady 100fps because I got my boyfriends old desktop. It's an infinite improvement from my laptop! So now I think that when going back to my laptop I'd be extremely frustrated, like most of you are saying. I don't think it's unplayable though, you just have to decide if the particular game is worth the struggle.
---
3DS FC 5043-2061-7637
#50JKatarnPosted 9/9/2013 5:35:58 AM
Enigma149 posted...
Nicodimus posted...
PathlessBullet posted...
Anything short of 120 is super choppy and hurts my eyes. How do you stand it?

My take is this:

I can play games at 30fps.

I can play games at 60 fps.

I CANNOT play games that bounce around wildly from 30-60 fps. It messes with my eyes and brain.

This.

I mean, the occasional drop is fine, but anything past that is intolerable.

Yeah, one of the worst games in regard to framerate consistency is Guild Wars 2 - while it is still a lot of fun and playable most of the time, it's jarring to face one direction and see framerates in the 30s (or in rare cases mid to high 20s) and have 70+ fps while facing a different direction. Though I suppose it's difficult to design a large, open world and ensure that the polygon density is similar in every direction.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES