This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What determines if I can watch a video at faster speed?

#1RenamonPosted 9/8/2013 5:07:33 PM
I have a bunch of AVI files on my PC that I want to watch, and WMP has the play speed option that lets you watch a video at, say, 1.5x speed, and I can usually go to 2.0x speed and stay caught up with what's going on (could probably go to 2.3x or 2.4x but WMP cuts out the audio above 2.0x). Problem is, I can't figure it out. Using the same file as a test, the same codecs with the same settings, and the latest version of WMP, a Vista machine can't do it, a Windows 7 virtualbox machine on said Vista machine can, a Windows 8 machine can't, and an XP machine can't. They are greyed out. So what determines if I can do this or not? Or are there any other programs out there that are more reliable/predictable for this?
---
Movies that I believe will come true: Wall-E, Idiocracy
Halo 1 > all other Halo games
#2Golden MavenPosted 9/8/2013 5:18:18 PM
Try MPC-HC
#3MasterDonGeroPosted 9/8/2013 5:22:03 PM
Quick question: why, in the name of all things holy, are you using Windows Media Player?

Use VLC or SMPlayer.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#4NicodimusPosted 9/8/2013 5:30:02 PM(edited)
I used KMPlayer for a while, then it started behaving strangely and glitching out. Then I switched to VLC, which is supposedly a great player, but I also found it to be buggy and prone to freezing up. Finally, I found Daum's PotPlayer, which has worked great for me for a couple of years now. I'd recommend PotPlayer.

The default way to speed up a video is to hit the 'C' key until it is going at the speed you want.

---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#5Renamon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2013 5:30:14 PM
MasterDonGero posted...
Quick question: why, in the name of all things holy, are you using Windows Media Player?

Because it can play video files. Same reason why I use Internet Explorer, because it can browse the internet. I rarely care about all that fancy stuff that other programs give you.
---
Movies that I believe will come true: Wall-E, Idiocracy
Halo 1 > all other Halo games
#6wizardmonPosted 9/8/2013 5:30:38 PM
Nicodimus posted...
I used KMPlayer for a while, then it started behaving strangely and glitching out. Then I switched to VLC, which is supposedly a great player, but I also found it to be buggy and prone to freezing up. Finally, I found Daum's PotPlayer, which has worked great for me for a couple of years now. I'd recommend PotPlayer.

The default way to speed up a video is to hit the 'C' key until it is going at the speed you want.

I actually like potplayer a lot myself, works wonderfully with SVP and runs just about everything I've ever thrown at it.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#7NingishzidaPosted 9/8/2013 5:32:01 PM
Renamon posted...
I use Internet Explorer

lol
#8NicodimusPosted 9/8/2013 5:37:32 PM
wizardmon posted...
Nicodimus posted...

I actually like potplayer a lot myself, works wonderfully with SVP and runs just about everything I've ever thrown at it.

Yup, it's as close to bulletproof as a video player gets in my experience. It has tons of skins available too, so if you like how WMP or another player looks, you can download a skin to make it look just like your favorite.
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#9VoxwikPosted 9/8/2013 9:25:13 PM
Ningishzida posted...
Renamon posted...
I use Internet Explorer

lol

To be fair modern IE isn't as terrible as it used to be, even if I don't personally use it.
#10SavageDonzillaPosted 9/8/2013 9:26:17 PM
Renamon posted...
MasterDonGero posted...

Because it can play video files. Same reason why I use Internet Explorer, because it can browse the internet. I rarely care about all that fancy stuff that other programs give you.

Download VLC, I've yet to run into any music/video file that it cannot play.
---
I486SX 33MHz |256MB RAM | IBM EGA 64kb | Dell M990 19" CRT | IBM 200watt PSU