This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Temporary solutions to keep PC temps low?

#1JJH777Posted 9/8/2013 5:52:49 PM
My PC has been having some overheating problems lately. To the point where it forces the PC to shutoff after it's on for too long. I cleaned all the dust out and cleaned off and reapplied the thermal paste on the CPU and it helped noticeably for the next few days but now it's just as bad if not worse than it was before. It's forcibly shutting down after being on for more than a couple hours even when I do nothing more than browse the internet.

I am planning on building a new PC soon so I would just like some temporary solutions to keep my PC alive until then.
---
If you believe that Abed is the true Messiah and you are 100% proud of it make this your signature.
#2BomasaPosted 9/8/2013 5:58:03 PM
I would take off the left side panel and put a big fan next to it to blow air on the parts inside. That's what I would do.
---
Steam ID: Bomasa
#3Fade2black001Posted 9/8/2013 6:05:19 PM
Bomasa posted...
I would take off the left side panel and put a big fan next to it to blow air on the parts inside. That's what I would do.

BINGO
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#4MasterDonGeroPosted 9/8/2013 6:07:11 PM
What thermal paste are you using?

And you can have an AC unit blow cold air into an intake fan.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#5NingishzidaPosted 9/8/2013 6:08:24 PM
move it to a room with the coolest ambient temps

positioning may help - if it's under a desk put it ontop

fan it
#6Lee7Posted 9/8/2013 6:08:42 PM
Or download speedfan and put all fans to 100%, it may be loud though.
---
-Sense, this makes none-
-AMD fx-6300 @ 4ghz, 4gb ram, palit geforce gtx 660, win7 Ultimate, chieftech 500w, Dell UltraSharp U2312HM IPS 23"-
#7JJH777(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2013 6:12:30 PM
MasterDonGero posted...

Arctic Silver 5

I actually already have a fan setup on the outside of it. I have for a long time actually because the GPU fan completely stopped working and one of the case fans was having extreme noise issues so I just took it off and put a big fan on the side of it with the panel open.
---
If you believe that Abed is the true Messiah and you are 100% proud of it make this your signature.
#8JJH777(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2013 6:18:32 PM(edited)
Using RealTemp I notice that my CPU use jumps around a lot really fast. Just opening firefox puts it up at like a 70% load and +5-10degrees C for a few seconds is that pretty normal? It seems that when I'm doing nothing it's around 5% load.
---
#9MasterDonGeroPosted 9/8/2013 6:22:10 PM
JJH777 posted...
MasterDonGero posted...

Arctic Silver 5

I actually already have a fan setup on the outside of it. I have for a long time actually because the GPU fan completely stopped working and one of the case fans was having extreme noise issues so I just took it off and put a big fan on the side of it with the panel open.

Not to be rude, but an AC unit and a fan are not the same thing.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#10JJH777(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2013 6:25:40 PM
MasterDonGero posted...
JJH777 posted...
MasterDonGero posted...

Arctic Silver 5

Not to be rude, but an AC unit and a fan are not the same thing.

Oh yeah I know that was a response to the rest of the topic only the arctic silver 5 was meant specifically for you. Having an AC unit blowing into it isn't really a viable solution for me unfortunately.
---