This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

for AV receiver owners - the hdmi flaw

#1g_lethalPosted 9/9/2013 1:46:25 AM
tonite i decided to figure out if i could passthrough audio to my tv from my receiver(finally got a noise complaint).........not an easy task i found out.

here are the simple specs: 2 gtx 570s, windows 8, onkyo system, mitsubishi dlp

the pieces were there but they didnt link up, the system and tv were ready but my pc would always switch to its optical output, and my hdmi sound icon would disappear, i switched hdmi cables, tried the mini, normal size, tried out using the mobos hdmi to trick the system(couldnt see the bootup)

then, it hit me, the hdmi handshake is messed up when you activate a receivers passthrough function, like it somehow ignores sound? so i hunted down the random dvi to hdmi cable i bought and tried it, system boot screen, check, sound passthrough? CHECK!

most people with surround sound may never need to neuter it, but if you do i hope this lil discovery helps, its not really on google i found out
---
"Remember Me" is awesome
#2AnatomyHorrorPosted 9/9/2013 1:48:08 AM
Wait...do you have hdmi AND optical running from your PC to your receiver?
#3g_lethal(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2013 1:54:03 AM
AnatomyHorror posted...
Wait...do you have hdmi AND optical running from your PC to your receiver?
nah dude, my optical is running to my astro headset
---
"Remember Me" is awesome
#4skinnyguy1234Posted 9/9/2013 3:35:56 AM
g_lethal posted...

then, it hit me, the hdmi handshake is messed up when you activate a receivers passthrough function, like it somehow ignores sound?

Yeah, of course. Pass through totally ignores and doesn't process anything from HDMI. It's to 'minimize handshake issues', or at least that's the explanation from my previous POS receiver.
---
I find your argument is based on unqualified assumptions, faulty logic, and pipe dreams.
#5SenkoyPosted 9/9/2013 4:01:30 AM
At first my passthrough was working and then it suddenly stopped. I could get video to pass through but could never get the audio. I eventually gave up and just bought another HDMI cable and hooked that one up to the TV directly and switch the cables up depending on if I want to use the receiver or not.
---
My fight stick: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2687/sdc10110k.jpg
My team combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoD7BvGUOE