This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is a Nvidia GTX 680 4gb card better than a PS4?

#11JKatarnPosted 9/9/2013 7:43:34 AM
Without a doubt the GPU is on a technical level more powerful than the one used in the PS4, though this doesn't account for the lower level optimizations/tricks developers can pull off on a static hardware platform.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#12JKatarnPosted 9/9/2013 7:45:54 AM
godplaysSNES posted...
It is in raw horsepower, but the PS4's GPU supports more features and will get more optimized games

? It's news to me that a 7970 variant supports more features than a 680. The fact that it's even a 7970m variant is merely a rumor at this point, as there's no concrete information on the console, but I'm going to make an educated guess that it's GPU will not support any new graphical techniques not possible on current PC GPUs, certainly not a higher-end board like the 680.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
#13NfuzedXGamerPosted 9/9/2013 7:49:06 AM
Why do people actually think the ps4 has a 2GB graphics VRAM running?? If you look at its specs its VRAM is 1024MB, Not 2048MB.

The graphics card equivalent to a ps4 is a 7770 or a 7790 to be generous,
#14godplaysSNESPosted 9/9/2013 8:02:31 AM
JKatarn posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
It is in raw horsepower, but the PS4's GPU supports more features and will get more optimized games

? It's news to me that a 7970 variant supports more features than a 680. The fact that it's even a 7970m variant is merely a rumor at this point, as there's no concrete information on the console, but I'm going to make an educated guess that it's GPU will not support any new graphical techniques not possible on current PC GPUs, certainly not a higher-end board like the 680.

One example is partially resident textures, the HD 7000 series have dedicated hardware for that
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/6

There's also features that both AMD and Nvidia do support, but aren't currently exposed in current DirectX or OpenGL
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#15godplaysSNESPosted 9/9/2013 8:06:36 AM(edited)
NfuzedXGamer posted...
Why do people actually think the ps4 has a 2GB graphics VRAM running?? If you look at its specs its VRAM is 1024MB, Not 2048MB.

We know the PS4's GPU is based on GCN, and the gigaflops figure Sony has given us puts it slightly above the HD 7850.

The PS4 also doesn't have VRAM in the traditional sense, the devs will be able to allocate the available memory to whatever they want
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#16ThePCElitistPosted 9/9/2013 8:18:05 AM
godplaysSNES posted...
NfuzedXGamer posted...

We know the PS4's GPU is based on GCN, and the gigaflops figure Sony has given us puts it slightly above the HD 7850.

The PS4 also doesn't have VRAM in the traditional sense, the devs will be able to allocate the available memory to whatever they want

So it's like a better version of integrated graphics then?
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#17westy159Posted 9/9/2013 8:40:45 AM
ThePCElitist posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
NfuzedXGamer posted...

Not quite. The PS4 will have its own processing unit for graphics. Integrated graphics uses the core processing unit.
---
Apply yourself to supply your wealth.
#18JKatarnPosted 9/9/2013 8:50:15 AM
westy159 posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
NfuzedXGamer posted...

Not quite. The PS4 will have its own processing unit for graphics. Integrated graphics uses the core processing unit.

I think he realized that, and posted the integrated graphics comment to be trollish.
---
#19Nightmare2398Posted 9/9/2013 8:56:08 AM
godplaysSNES posted...

PS4 and xbox one are basically PCs now, which means games will be optimized for PCs much better than they used to be. it's the same architechture now. Though xbox and PS4 being amd products might make amd cards run games faster in the future, but we'll see.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: VegetarianEater
"This is very heavy, and this, may I remind you, is on fire." -Moony (Moony and Broon Show)
#20OreoBoy206Posted 9/9/2013 9:23:42 AM
godplaysSNES posted...
One example is partially resident textures, the HD 7000 series have dedicated hardware for that
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/6

There's also features that both AMD and Nvidia do support, but aren't currently exposed in current DirectX or OpenGL

That's not a very good example of showing that AMD has more features. Yes, AMD has hardware for partially resident textures that Nvidia doesn't but then Nvidia has hardware for bindless textures that AMD doesn't. So they both have texture technology that is unique to their hardware..

"For competitive comparison, AMD Southern Islands also has 128 Texture Units with the technology focus being on Partially Resident Textures, i.e. MegaTexturing technology pioneered by John Carmack and idSoftware's engine. AMD has a different approach to this problem, but in our talks with engine developers, it was Bindless Textures that got the nod over primarily OpenGL limited PRT technology. Those two are apples and pears, though (slicing a large texture vs. addressing thousands of textures at the same time)."

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/3/22/nvidia-kepler-analysis-another-masterpiece-from-the-architects-of-g80-or.aspx?pageid=2
Source^^^