This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I change my PSU after a number of years?

#1westy159Posted 9/9/2013 3:13:48 AM
Just looking through my order history for the hardware site I use. Can't believe my PSU is 6 years old now. But its the one thing I haven't changed in two new builds in that time.

It's a Corsair 520 watt modular. Still fit for purpose. Is there any sense in spending money I'd rather not spend to ensure nothing terrible happens now the PSU is aging? Or are they more reliable than that?
---
Apply yourself to supply your wealth.
#2DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/9/2013 3:17:02 AM
PSUs do have a life expectancy. As the parts are in use, they wear out/age, and over time, can deliver less and less power. However, you can usually get a decade out of a good unit.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#3_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/9/2013 3:43:05 AM
Hmm, that is a tough one. I used my last PSU for 6 years. Afterwards, I put it into a build that I gave away. No idea how it is doing now. Generally, I tend to keep them 6 to 8 years (two builds).

If you are going to be buying a lot of expensive new parts, then you might want to get a new one, as a precaution. To be honest, my 6 to 8 years already feels like I am pushing it.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H