This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sorry beginner's question(s)...

#1ulchiha_madaraPosted 9/9/2013 6:24:17 AM
Here is the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1AzbC

My question is what significant does the solid state disk do? This computer I will be using it for gaming (skyrim + enb, StarCraft2 10+players ultra), school, video editing, and animation.
#2SinisterSlayPosted 9/9/2013 6:26:25 AM(edited)
It's awesome but it's the first thing I'd sacrifice if money is an issue.
You can always get a hybrid drive which gives about half the performance of an SSD, but with the storage capacity of a normal hard drive. And only slightly more expensive than a normal hard drive.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3ulchiha_madara(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2013 6:27:56 AM
It's not an issue, I just want to know if it's worth it or not to keep it. I don't even know what it does and how it'll affect the computer.
#4SlaynPosted 9/9/2013 6:29:31 AM
SSD is a luxury item, but with as much as you're spending, why not? It is small but loads VERY fast. Just putting your OS on the drive will make the whole computer run faster. Any games you put on it will load extremely fast. This only makes sense for games that you play often and have significant load times. Your favorite multiplayer game is a good idea, or something like Skyrim which you might put a hundred hours in to.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#5SinisterSlayPosted 9/9/2013 6:29:42 AM
ulchiha_madara posted...
It's not an issue, I just want to know if it's worth it or not to keep it. I don't even know what it does and how it'll affect the computer.

SSD's are basically flash drives. They have almost instant access and write times when compared to a normal hard drive.

Essentially, you can remove the "Seek" time of a hard drive by using an SSD.
But SSD's cost more and fail faster (so far, it looks like 3 years, but newer drives might be better).
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6ulchiha_madara(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2013 6:30:15 AM
Also, I'm not very well informed of all these "bottlenecking" stuff. Can you guys/girls check the build to see if that will be an issue?

Thanks.
#7ulchiha_madara(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2013 6:32:56 AM
Slayn posted...
SSD is a luxury item, but with as much as you're spending, why not? It is small but loads VERY fast. Just putting your OS on the drive will make the whole computer run faster. Any games you put on it will load extremely fast. This only makes sense for games that you play often and have significant load times. Your favorite multiplayer game is a good idea, or something like Skyrim which you might put a hundred hours in to.

In that case, why bother getting a normal drive then? Wouldn't it make sense to buy a "larger SSD and forsake the traditional?
#8AsucaHayashiPosted 9/9/2013 6:37:48 AM
ulchiha_madara posted...
Slayn posted...

In that case, why bother getting a normal drive then? Wouldn't it make sense to buy a "larger SSD and forsake the traditional?

price
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#9NicodimusPosted 9/9/2013 6:52:20 AM
ulchiha_madara posted...
Slayn posted...

You can prolong the life of your SSD by saving downloads and other data to the HDD, rather than to the SSD. The SSD is there to boot your applications and OS faster, not for data storage.
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#10ulchiha_madara(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2013 6:56:24 AM
Nicodimus posted...
ulchiha_madara posted...
Slayn posted...

You can prolong the life of your SSD by saving downloads and other data to the HDD, rather than to the SSD. The SSD is there to boot your applications and OS faster, not for data storage.

Makes sense now. Thanks Nico