This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Massive fps drops in all of my games?

#1refmonPosted 9/9/2013 7:26:07 AM
I don't know what the problem could be but whats the most common issues?
---
If you read this signature, then that meant that I had control of what you read for 5 SECONDS!!
#2SinisterSlayPosted 9/9/2013 7:27:34 AM
If it happens after a time, it could be heat and your video card is going to lower power mode to cool down.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3pothocketPosted 9/9/2013 7:29:56 AM(edited)
If you're using AMD turn off PhysX effects.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#4refmon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2013 7:29:42 AM(edited)
SinisterSlay posted...
If it happens after a time, it could be heat and your video card is going to lower power mode to cool down.

It was fine two days ago but now right when I start a game its fps is cut in half. I'm also using nvidia
---
If you read this signature, then that meant that I had control of what you read for 5 SECONDS!!
#5SinisterSlayPosted 9/9/2013 7:31:50 AM
Turn off adaptive Vsync or any vsync and see if your framerate improves.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6Flaktrooper123Posted 9/9/2013 8:05:09 AM
Other than things already explained above, other common problems I could think of:
- New startup program, did you installed something lately? It may eat up your available RAM and processor power.
-Overheating. Did you notice one of the usual fan noises in the PC went missing? If so, check if your CPU or GPU fans goes dead.
#7JKatarnPosted 9/9/2013 8:37:25 AM
1.) First thing - run a malware/virus scan

2.) Run a program like Furmark and check your temperatures

3.) Try doing a fresh install of your current GPU driver, using Driver Cleaner to wipe out traces of previous driver.

4.) Did you install any new software/AV/malware suite recently? Check your running processes/services and CPU usage while playing a game.

5.) Check your CPU temperature

6.) Check that the supplemental power cable(s) is securely connected to your GPU and that your GPU is firmly seated in the PCI-E slot (it is possible, though not very likely for thermal expansion to cause expansion cards to move out of their slots a bit) - also check that your RAM is firmly seated in the DIMM slots.

7.) Ensure that you have all Windows updates installed/check recently installed Windows updates for possible conflicts.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#8refmon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2013 10:29:55 AM
JKatarn posted...

3.) Try doing a fresh install of your current GPU driver, using Driver Cleaner to wipe out traces of previous driver.

4.) Did you install any new software/AV/malware suite recently? Check your running processes/services and CPU usage while playing a game.

6.) Check that the supplemental power cable(s) is securely connected to your GPU and that your GPU is firmly seated in the PCI-E slot (it is possible, though not very likely for thermal expansion to cause expansion cards to move out of their slots a bit) - also check that your RAM is firmly seated in the DIMM slots.

7.) Ensure that you have all Windows updates installed/check recently installed Windows updates for possible conflicts.

Thanks I'll do this all but I just got a special pool detected memory corruption error if that means anything
---
#9JKatarnPosted 9/9/2013 12:44:45 PM
refmon posted...
JKatarn posted...

Thanks I'll do this all but I just got a special pool detected memory corruption error if that means anything

That sounds like a RAM issue, I would burn off a MemTest86 disc and run at least 2/3 passes, preferably more if you want to be thorough, though typically if it doesn't find anything in 2 or 3 passes you're fine.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#10NingishzidaPosted 9/9/2013 8:22:36 PM
JKatarn posted...

do this last, that stress-testing app isn't to be used flippantly.