This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Mini ITX builds are harder than they look.

• Topic Archived

You have been randomly selected to participate in the Beta Test of our new message list page. We've rolled out this test in order to get additional feedback and error reports from a wider subset of users. We'll only display this notice once, but permanent links to disable the Beta, provide feedback, and get more information will be located at the bottom of each message list.

To disable this test for now, click here. For more information, please read our announcement about this redesign.

1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Mini ITX builds are harder than they look.
2 years ago#1
I just built a computer with this kind of mobo and a Bitfenix Prodigy, getting everything put in its place is tricky as hell. It's roomy for a mITX board, but that cases loses points in cable management. My last ATX case does a better job and that case is from 2002.

I still like mini ITX, though. For most people ATX is overkill unless you really want to use 3 or 4 graphics cards, or make a serious workstation with lots of connectivity, and micro ATX would be the sweet spot to have.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
2 years ago#2
i like to have atx

i like to think everything is more spread out...makes for better cooling/air flow?
---
1055T | M4a77d | 6gb ddr2 | AMD 6870 | Sonata III | Antec 500w earthwatts | 500gb HD | 27" Monitor | Blu ray/dvd burner | Win 7 Prof | Razer BlackWidow Ult
2 years ago#3
Ravenoussd posted...
i like to have atx

i like to think everything is more spread out...makes for better cooling/air flow?

Yeah, that is definitely the advantage of roomy cases. The Prodigy and Mini Cube have good airflow for their size, though. For me I just wanted to downsize my PC, and now hate that BitFenix just announced the new Prodigy M. lol I might be switching the mobo and case again when it comes out.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
2 years ago#4
CC Ricers posted...
micro ATX would be the sweet spot to have.

That's what I think. I wanted to do miniITX build for a while but eventually decided that microATX would be better for a few reasons - seemingly wider case selection, ability to add 3-wide graphics cards and sound cards and other expansion cards, four DIMM slots, usually better airflow, and still small in size if you find the right case.
---
3570k | GTX670 FTW | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD
Nexus 4 16GB White * Sharp Actius MM20 * AKA Magus77
2 years ago#5
I have an NZXT Vulcan microAtx case. It's pretty good. I'll probably be sticking with it for quite a while unless the tech gets really small really fast so I could easily go with a mini ITX.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
2 years ago#6
I have the prodigy, its a good case but if you think its tricky to build with, try the Silverstone SG05 ( what I used to have), that thing could be a right PITA sometimes.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Mini ITX builds are harder than they look.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Message List Beta Test is now on. To disable the Beta, just click here, or you can read more about it, report an error, or provide general feedback.
  • Topic Archived