This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help with connecting PC to TV

#1HelmesSeiferPosted 9/9/2013 9:09:53 AM
Over the weekend I decided to hook up my PC to my TV with a HDMI cable. I received a picture and I was very happy at first, but ran into issues while streaming a program. While the program had a nice picture on my TV it was noticeably choppy. The picture was much smoother on my laptop and I was wondering why would it appear choppy on my TV? I've read there is very little difference between cheap and expensive HDMI cables, so I didn't think that could be the issue. Anyone else try this that could provide some insight? Thanks.
---
Xbox live Gamertag: CaptainMiles
PSN: AdmiralMiles
#2AllHailTheDead6Posted 9/9/2013 9:23:34 AM
you should read the differences of using cheap tv's instead of a monitor
---
Steam ID AllHailTheDead
*Puts on his robe and wizard hat*
#3UberLurkerPosted 9/9/2013 9:35:31 AM
If you're streaming video and it's less than smooth then it's most likely related to the conditions of the network from which you're streaming, you're probably running into bandwidth issues.

That being said, if your TV is higher resolution than your laptop (which it most likely is) then your graphics card will need to work harder to push those extra pixels... if your card is weak or otherwise not up to the task then you'll end up with dropped frames. e.g. choppiness.
#4HelmesSeifer(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2013 10:22:18 AM
UberLurker posted...
If you're streaming video and it's less than smooth then it's most likely related to the conditions of the network from which you're streaming, you're probably running into bandwidth issues.

That being said, if your TV is higher resolution than your laptop (which it most likely is) then your graphics card will need to work harder to push those extra pixels... if your card is weak or otherwise not up to the task then you'll end up with dropped frames. e.g. choppiness.

I see. I'm not very savy when it comes to PC's, is it fairly easy to upgrade a graphics card? Or would it be cheaper to upgrade my computer?
---
#5HelmesSeifer(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2013 10:25:42 AM
Just to update, would this be a good graphics card to purchase as well as easily install?

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Express-Graphics-01G-P3-1302-LR/dp/B0049MPQA4/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1378747380&sr=1-1&keywords=graphics+card

I have a dell inspiron 1525 (i know lol, but it's what I have)
---
#6WerdnAndreWPosted 9/9/2013 10:40:17 AM
Set your tv as the primary monitor, see if that helps with the choppiness.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#7DriveBy5173Posted 9/9/2013 10:55:28 AM
I had a problem like this and tried everything I could think of until I finally found out it was the drivers on my card.

Hope you find the solution =]
#8SnadadosPosted 9/9/2013 10:59:08 AM
Laptops use different components than desktop PCs and the graphics card you posted is a desktop PC.

Unless a laptop is a nice gaming laptop you will not likely be able to put in a new graphics cards.
Your laptop looks to use integrated graphics meaning the CPU does the graphical rendering and I don't think you can add a graphics card to it your laptop.

You said you connected your laptop to your TV with an HDMI cable.
Like what was suggested, go into your laptops display settings when you connect it to your TV and set the TV to be the primary display.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#9TimePharaohPosted 9/9/2013 11:03:42 AM
Snadados posted...
Laptops use different components than desktop PCs and the graphics card you posted is a desktop PC.

Unless a laptop is a nice gaming laptop you will not likely be able to put in a new graphics cards.
Your laptop looks to use integrated graphics meaning the CPU does the graphical rendering and I don't think you can add a graphics card to it your laptop.

Like what was suggested, go into your laptops display settings when you connect it to your TV and set the TV to be the primary display.

lolgaminglaptop
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#10HelmesSeifer(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2013 11:34:54 AM
Snadados posted...

Ok great I'll try this. I also heard defraging your computer will help with it's performance which I will also try tonight. Thanks everyone for the information as you can tell I am a total nooblet when it comes to PCs.
---