This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do so many people use C++ over C#?

• Topic Archived

You have been randomly selected to participate in the Beta Test of our new message list page. We've rolled out this test in order to get additional feedback and error reports from a wider subset of users. We'll only display this notice once, but permanent links to disable the Beta, provide feedback, and get more information will be located at the bottom of each message list.

To disable this test for now, click here. For more information, please read our announcement about this redesign.

1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do so many people use C++ over C#?
2 years ago#11
electroflame posted...
Not in this reality it can't. Not by a loooooooooong shot.

It most certainly can, it's just generally more work. If the platform doesn't support it natively, you need some kind of cross-compiler or something of the sort. (Luckily, there's a ton of cross-compilers for C# already out there -- chances are there's one to fit your current project's needs, etc.)

Remember, just because it's written in C# does not mean that it has to be compiled using a C# compiler into compiled C#.

And those compilers don't exist for anywhere near the number of platforms covered by C++ compilers and I doubt very seriously anyone would be straight up insane enough to write them just to use C# syntax on some of those platforms. Not to mention using compiled C# over managed code defeats the entire damn intent of the language.

---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
(edited by Orestes417)
2 years ago#12
C# is nicely designed, but the ties to Microsoft alone makes me avoid it. Also, as already mentioned, the lesser multiplatform support and lower performance are other reasons why I prefer C++.
---
------------
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/hobo2/nowsaving-1.png
2 years ago#13
isn't it just a newer C++?
It's probably better to think of it as a newer Java. They do have a lot of syntactic similarity with C++, but their overall design is a pretty big departure from C++ (e.g. reference semantics, garbage collection, type constructors in the type system itself instead of through metaprogramming, and so on).
---
"debates are contests of rhetoric, not argumentative rigor." -DragooneerZero
2 years ago#14
ElementalWind posted...
isn't it just a newer C++?
It's probably better to think of it as a newer Java. They do have a lot of syntactic similarity with C++, but their overall design is a pretty big departure from C++ (e.g. reference semantics, garbage collection, type constructors in the type system itself instead of through metaprogramming, and so on).

Beat me to it. Despite the name, C# is far more similar to Java than C++, so it ends up being similar to comparing C++ to Java. Java takes care of garbage collecting, but for that reason is slower.

SinisterSlay posted...
C++ for performance, C# for easy development.
That's basically it.

So when your developing something that must run as fast as possible, you will use C++.
When you are developing something that must be developed as fast as possible, you will use C#.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. Same with C++ vs Java.
---
My fight stick: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2687/sdc10110k.jpg
My team combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoD7BvGUOE
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do so many people use C++ over C#?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Message List Beta Test is now on. To disable the Beta, just click here, or you can read more about it, report an error, or provide general feedback.
  • Topic Archived