This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Buy or Build?

#1Unpure_EuphoriaPosted 9/9/2013 1:45:16 PM(edited)
If you're one of those TL;DR people, the short version is the TT: "Buy, or build?"

If you're willing to read the long version, which I plead you to do, here's my situation.

I'm currently using a dual core 1.9 CPU with 2 gigs of RAM. It's years old and it was given to me for free, and I am not complaining. However, I'm finally in a position to save up some money for a new one and I'd very much like to do so. I'm aiming to spend $500-$800, and am going to be buying it during Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I'll probably use newegg.com because it's what I'm comfortable and familiar with, but I am open to suggestions.

I'm more of a software guy, but I'm not completely ignorant about the inner workings of my PC. I know basic terminology, can take most of my PC apart, and can install various new parts like a HDD, stick of RAM, or new PCI expansion. That said, I'm not confident I could assemble an entire computer from scratch, particularly because as I understand it, finding components that are highly compatible (like RAM that works well with your MOBO) is extremely important. This is something I do not trust myself to be able to do.

I do have at my disposal, however, a brother and friend who are both pretty good with PC hardware (my brother actually has a degree in it), so here's where the tough decision comes in. I'm almost certain I'll get more bang for my buck if I buy parts individually (right?) but I'm really paranoid something will go wrong.

I know the users on this board are pretty tech savvy. I am genuinely interested in your opinions on if I should go for building with help, or just outright buy a new PC premade with the given budget.

If it matters at all, I'm aiming to buy a PC that can play modern games (2010-2013) on moderate graphics settings, plenty of HDD space (at least 1 TB, preferably 2), and I would like it to be a decent speed quad core. I will not be needing a new monitor, keyboard, etc.

Any and all suggestions, input, links, help, etc etc are all seriously and greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I'd prefer Windows 7, not 8.
---
http://lawlgaming.chatango.com/ - Live uncensored chat for gamers - Any platform, any genre! Love games? So do we.
#22Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 9/9/2013 1:45:14 PM
You should definitely build one yourself. A few youtube videos is all you need to be able to put everything together, and if you post some parameters and your budget someone on here can put together a build that all works together.
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
#3xtrmpcgamerPosted 9/9/2013 1:47:18 PM
How much is ur whole budget including monitor and speakers?
#4xtrmpcgamerPosted 9/9/2013 1:48:10 PM
oh srry i see you have keyboard and monitor so how much is ur budget on the tower alone?
#5AsucaHayashiPosted 9/9/2013 1:48:41 PM
if you're scared of the finer parts(basically mobo and cpu+heatsink installation) just order it prebuilt ecollegepc.com then put in the rest with parts from newegg.

just make sure it can actually turn on when the psu is plugged in.

also, if your brother has a degree in it(is that really a thing) then what are you even afraid of? choosing the right parts?

justy post a budget and people will assemble the best possible build.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#6Unpure_Euphoria(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2013 1:54:47 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...
also, if your brother has a degree in it(is that really a thing) then what are you even afraid of? choosing the right parts?

Yes. He got a degree in computer-something. I don't think it was computer science, but something like computer technology or something along those lines. Looks really good on a resume when you're trying to get a job basically anywhere that deals with electronics.

And yes, that is exactly what I am afraid of. The last time I entertained the thought of building my own PC, I ended up finding parts I thought were all good and had everyone tell me they were not compatible, and that I was doing it all wrong, and etc etc. Thankfully I had not yet bought them.

AsucaHayashi posted...
justy post a budget and people will assemble the best possible build.

Unpure_Euphoria posted...
I'm aiming to spend $500-$800, and am going to be buying it during Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I'll probably use newegg.com because it's what I'm comfortable and familiar with, but I am open to suggestions.

If it matters at all, I'm aiming to buy a PC that can play modern games (2010-2013) on moderate graphics settings, plenty of HDD space (at least 1 TB, preferably 2), and I would like it to be a decent speed quad core. I will not be needing a new monitor, keyboard, etc.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I'd prefer Windows 7, not 8.

---
http://lawlgaming.chatango.com/ - Live uncensored chat for gamers - Any platform, any genre! Love games? So do we.
#7BowsaaPosted 9/9/2013 1:57:37 PM
If you want to built it on Black Friday/Cyber Monday, you'll probably want to wait and see what sorts of deals are going on then.

Also, why don't you want Windows 8? It's objectively better, and you can always use a program to get the start menu back if you want it that much.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#8xtrmpcgamerPosted 9/9/2013 1:58:44 PM
Windows 7 is better hello, hello wake up win 7 hands down man.
#9xavieris1984Posted 9/9/2013 1:59:34 PM
win 7 64bit miles better than 8.
#10PigfartsPosted 9/9/2013 2:02:11 PM
build, I built my first computer a few months back, and the longest part will be the fact since its your frist time you will go slow. but it certainly isnt hard.

1) the youtube turotral from new egg is good but broad,
2) when you get stuck youtube the spefic part you are on and it will have intructions
3) the mother board plus the manual labels the wires its much easier then it looks

The reason I say build is b/c I never realised how much garbage comes from a store bought PC. With a home build you dont get that background crap slowing your machine down, it start up really fast.
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.