This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone ever get their OS from Dreamspark?

#1MonsieurPosted 9/9/2013 6:27:28 PM
I'm doing my first build and planned on getting Windows 8 from Dreamspark (Microsoft program for students, in case anyone finds this fishy), but at checkout, one of the items reads:

c. Using Windows Desktop Operating Systems. Your DreamSpark Direct Subscription includes certain Windows operating system products. You may install these products only on a computer that is already licensed to run a full version of a Windows operating system on it, as evidenced by a valid Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for a Windows operating system affixed to the computer.

Does this mean I can't use it for a build? I've seen a lot of people recommending Dreamspark on building forums, so I don't really get that.
---
The Beatles (dead) Board~ http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/573111-helter-skelter
#2HydroCannabinolPosted 9/9/2013 6:39:04 PM
You'll be fine just remember that usually the license expires 2 years after you stop attending school, sadly.

It's like how you're not supposed to use 'residential' internet for businesses and such. Sure, AT&T could cancel your service and perhaps even prosecute you, but will they ever find out or even try at all? Nope.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#3Monsieur(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2013 6:55:53 PM
Huh, this is pretty confusing stuff, but thanks.
What I'd understood from the 2 years thing was that's how long I can download and get the license from the website, but that I can still use it after that time.
Gonna have to look deeper into this...
---
#4HydroCannabinolPosted 9/9/2013 7:01:44 PM
Monsieur posted...
Huh, this is pretty confusing stuff, but thanks.
What I'd understood from the 2 years thing was that's how long I can download and get the license from the website, but that I can still use it after that time.
Gonna have to look deeper into this...

Yes, that's how long you can download it and use the license. After the two years it supposedly 'expires'. I'm not sure though if Microsoft blocks you from further activations or if they somehow unauthenticated your OS and force you to get a new key.

I'm pretty sure you just can't re-activate after that. I have a little under two years left, so I'll find out eventually. xD

Also, I'm not sure what is confusing for you. I already told you, do it. I have been using Win7 on my PC for over three years now while attending school and this is a custom build just like any other. I also use the image on a bunch of VMs (just not the key) so there is literally nothing to be afraid of.

Just use it to install Windows on your PC, it'll be fine.
---
#5Monsieur(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2013 7:09:58 PM
Alright, thanks.
The confusing part was whether or not I'd be able to keep using it after 2 years, but now it seems pretty certain that I can.

What happened was that I bought all the parts yesterday, including Windows 8, and today I got an e-mail from the university saying I had access to dreamspark premium -.-
So I wanted to be sure I can just return it when it arrives.
---
#6hondaman42390Posted 9/9/2013 9:01:30 PM
Monsieur posted...
Alright, thanks.
The confusing part was whether or not I'd be able to keep using it after 2 years, but now it seems pretty certain that I can.

What happened was that I bought all the parts yesterday, including Windows 8, and today I got an e-mail from the university saying I had access to dreamspark premium -.-

There is nothing about anything expiring after 2 years.

Qutoed from the Dreamspark Premium EULA:

"4. ADDITIONAL TERMS FOR THE DREAMSPARK PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION
a. Changes in status. You will stop providing DreamSpark Premium Subscription benefits or any software keys to anyone who ceases being one of your staff, faculty, or students as such terms are defined above. However, students who have received software under the DreamSpark Premium Subscription may continue to use such software when they are no longer students provided that they do so in accordance with these terms."
---
AMD FX-8320 @ 4.6 1.44v | EVGA GTX 760 SC | 8GB DDR3 1600 | 256GB Samsung 840 | Asus M5A99FX
#7HydroCannabinolPosted 9/9/2013 9:23:35 PM
hondaman42390 posted...
Monsieur posted...
Alright, thanks.

There is nothing about anything expiring after 2 years.

Qutoed from the Dreamspark Premium EULA:

"4. ADDITIONAL TERMS FOR THE DREAMSPARK PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION
a. Changes in status. You will stop providing DreamSpark Premium Subscription benefits or any software keys to anyone who ceases being one of your staff, faculty, or students as such terms are defined above. However, students who have received software under the DreamSpark Premium Subscription may continue to use such software when they are no longer students provided that they do so in accordance with these terms."

It literally says two years on the cart screen when you checkout. I'm on my phone but if you need proof I can screenshot to double check what it says
---
#8Knight2520Posted 9/9/2013 9:41:00 PM
It literally says two years on the cart screen when you checkout. I'm on my phone but if you need proof I can screenshot to double check what it says

Two years to access the license from your account.
---
Internet Explorer 8 isn't loading when I click on it. - Cedoda
That's completely normal. - tuff
#9nehukogPosted 9/9/2013 10:27:59 PM
I'm about to order win 7 from dreamspark, so this topic is definatly of interest to me. One thing I would like to know is, is the version of windows you get from dreamspark a version that you can install on a blank PC? Like its not just an upgrade version right?
#10SenkoyPosted 9/9/2013 10:47:57 PM
I was also wondering about this myself. I graduate this year and I was going to build a new PC after graduation (assuming I land a job) and I was wondering if I could dl Win 7 from there after graduation, or if I can dl it before graduating and then just keeping it until I build a PC later on.
---
My fight stick: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2687/sdc10110k.jpg
My team combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoD7BvGUOE