This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone ever get their OS from Dreamspark?

#11hondaman42390Posted 9/9/2013 10:58:49 PM
HydroCannabinol posted...
hondaman42390 posted...
Monsieur posted...
Alright, thanks.
The confusing part was whether or not I'd be able to keep using it after 2 years, but now it seems pretty certain that I can.

What happened was that I bought all the parts yesterday, including Windows 8, and today I got an e-mail from the university saying I had access to dreamspark premium -.-
So I wanted to be sure I can just return it when it arrives.

There is nothing about anything expiring after 2 years.

Qutoed from the Dreamspark Premium EULA:

"4. ADDITIONAL TERMS FOR THE DREAMSPARK PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION
a. Changes in status. You will stop providing DreamSpark Premium Subscription benefits or any software keys to anyone who ceases being one of your staff, faculty, or students as such terms are defined above. However, students who have received software under the DreamSpark Premium Subscription may continue to use such software when they are no longer students provided that they do so in accordance with these terms."

It literally says two years on the cart screen when you checkout. I'm on my phone but if you need proof I can screenshot to double check what it says

Your comprehension leaves a lot to be desired. I quoted the exact spot in the EULA where is says is doesn't expire.

You have two years to retrieve the product key on their website. Dunno why you would think that means you can't use it after two years. Just keep up with the product key and there is no problem.
---
AMD FX-8320 @ 4.6 1.44v | EVGA GTX 760 SC | 8GB DDR3 1600 | 256GB Samsung 840 | Asus M5A99FX
#12hondaman42390Posted 9/9/2013 11:04:04 PM
nehukog posted...
I'm about to order win 7 from dreamspark, so this topic is definatly of interest to me. One thing I would like to know is, is the version of windows you get from dreamspark a version that you can install on a blank PC? Like its not just an upgrade version right?

You can do a fresh install. Just a note: That is against the EULA (although I know plenty of people who have done it....me included.)

(iii) the products are used to support STEM learning, teaching and research relating to Microsoft technologies, and (iv) are not used for general purpose activities as web browsing or email access or non-STEM activities. If the use of the Windows operating system products included with the DreamSpark Premium Subscription will be used in any other way, a valid Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for a Windows operating system must first be affixed to the computer(s) on which the products are installed.

https://www.dreamspark.com/Institution/DSP-EULA.aspx

Section C is about OS licensing.
---
AMD FX-8320 @ 4.6 1.44v | EVGA GTX 760 SC | 8GB DDR3 1600 | 256GB Samsung 840 | Asus M5A99FX
#13squeeb1985Posted 9/9/2013 11:46:33 PM
nehukog posted...
I'm about to order win 7 from dreamspark, so this topic is definatly of interest to me. One thing I would like to know is, is the version of windows you get from dreamspark a version that you can install on a blank PC? Like its not just an upgrade version right?

When I got windows from dreamspark, 7 was an upgrade version, 8 was the full version. Luckily there are workarounds to install an upgrade version of 7 onto a blank drive.
---
i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz | 6950 2GB | 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 840 Pro 256 GB | Win8 Pro 64
GT: Beastwood5
#14nehukogPosted 9/10/2013 8:09:36 AM
what are the workarounds?
#15ipwnu713Posted 9/10/2013 9:21:12 AM
Does anyone know how many copies you're given for each os/software? Is it just one or do I get multiple copies?
---
http://i.imgur.com/gfSje.gif
Steam ID: G Bass
#16IronSasquatchPosted 9/10/2013 9:39:56 AM
nehukog posted...
what are the workarounds?

You change one value in your registry from a 1 to a 0. Google it, there's a youtube video showing exactly how to do it and which value you change. That's what I did after being told by a barely-English-speaking MS support person that I should just buy another copy of Windows 7. My response was "I'm a college student, do you think I can just blow another hundred dollars on a whim?".
---
Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in in my head and in my heart, in my soul.
#17HydroCannabinolPosted 9/10/2013 1:50:30 PM
hondaman42390 posted...
hondaman42390 posted...
Monsieur posted...
Alright, thanks.
The confusing part was whether or not I'd be able to keep using it after 2 years, but now it seems pretty certain that I can.

What happened was that I bought all the parts yesterday, including Windows 8, and today I got an e-mail from the university saying I had access to dreamspark premium -.-

a. Changes in status. You will stop providing DreamSpark Premium Subscription benefits or any software keys to anyone who ceases being one of your staff, faculty, or students as such terms are defined above. However, students who have received software under the DreamSpark Premium Subscription may continue to use such software when they are no longer students provided that they do so in accordance with these terms."

It literally says two years on the cart screen when you checkout. I'm on my phone but if you need proof I can screenshot to double check what it says

Your comprehension leaves a lot to be desired. I quoted the exact spot in the EULA where is says is doesn't expire.

You have two years to retrieve the product key on their website. Dunno why you would think that means you can't use it after two years. Just keep up with the product key and there is no problem.

You have no idea what you are talking about so don't be a jackass
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#18hondaman42390Posted 9/10/2013 2:32:04 PM(edited)
hondaman42390 posted...
hondaman42390 posted...
Monsieur posted...
Alright, thanks.

You have no idea what you are talking about so don't be a jackass

Seems like I have a pretty good idea of what i'm talking about. You are delusional.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22854185/windows-dsp.JPG

EDIT: The other possibility is you don't have Dreamspark Premium.
---
#19HydroCannabinolPosted 9/10/2013 5:55:08 PM
hondaman42390 posted...
[quote errors]

That's actually the screenshot I was going to take.

It says in the little letters:

24 month guarantee blah blah blah access to key and/or download time license not extended (if applicable)

The terms say you shouldn't be using it for anything but educational purposes and such so I assumed the two year thing was so you obviously can't use it after then. Like I posted earlier I wasn't sure if it was a no download after 2 years or a no use after 2 years. It appears you can still use it for life with NO more reactivations, but you lose access to the site after 24 months.

Either way, you can install it on a new system build which is against the EULA and continue to use it as long as you don't have to re-activate in the future after the 24 months.

I am assuming you think you can ACTIVATE the key at any time in the future, even after 30 years have passed? I don't think that is part of it which I am still disagreeing with at this time...
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#20hondaman42390Posted 9/10/2013 6:55:00 PM
hondaman42390 posted...
[quote errors]

That's actually the screenshot I was going to take.

It says in the little letters:

24 month guarantee blah blah blah access to key and/or download time license not extended (if applicable)

The terms say you shouldn't be using it for anything but educational purposes and such so I assumed the two year thing was so you obviously can't use it after then. Like I posted earlier I wasn't sure if it was a no download after 2 years or a no use after 2 years. It appears you can still use it for life with NO more reactivations, but you lose access to the site after 24 months.

Either way, you can install it on a new system build which is against the EULA and continue to use it as long as you don't have to re-activate in the future after the 24 months.

I am assuming you think you can ACTIVATE the key at any time in the future, even after 30 years have passed? I don't think that is part of it which I am still disagreeing with at this time...

The 24 months is only how long you will be able to view the Product Key on their site.

See this example for a "Work at Home" license from a similar program. Notice you can "upgrade" to the 24 months. That has no bearing on how long from the purchase date it will activate. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22854185/eacademy-win8.JPG
---