This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need to kick my 4X habit...

#1SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/9/2013 8:02:55 PM
I have a massive backlog of games, but all I ever end up doing is saying **** it and end up playing Civ 5, Civ4Col, endless space or CalCiv 2.

Any suggestions on how to kick it?
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#2Fade2black001Posted 9/9/2013 8:04:39 PM
Stop spending needles money on games you will never play?
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#3dermoratrakenPosted 9/9/2013 8:07:12 PM
Why not stop buying games that you don't play?
#4Sinfullyvannila(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2013 8:10:04 PM
I have a legitimate hoarding issue, been dealing with a lot of crap for the last 2 years When I get distressed I buy a game. It's rarely over $20.

I've been getting better with it. I haven't bought a game in 2 weeks. Learning to play piano and going to the gym to try and kick that habit.

At least it's not booze/drugs/sex though, /shrug.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#5SteamsterPosted 9/9/2013 8:13:07 PM
I'd rather waste the money than do something I don't enjoy doing.

But if you really want to get through your backlog or whatever, then f*** emotions/feelings/wants/etc and just do it. It's as simple as it gets, but it'll work.
#6wobbuffet10Posted 9/9/2013 8:14:06 PM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
I have a legitimate hoarding issue, been dealing with a lot of crap for the last 2 years When I get distressed I buy a game. It's rarely over $20.

I've been getting better with it. I haven't bought a game in 2 weeks. Learning to play piano and going to the gym to try and kick that habit.

Set some sort of goal for yourself. Mine is to not buy another game until next year, with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions. The last game I bought was on July 19th so I've gone close to 2 months without a new one.
---
My backlog: http://backloggery.com/melatonin
My music: http://soundcloud.com/z-plan
#7NingishzidaPosted 9/9/2013 8:16:26 PM(edited)

lol, that's the best way to "waste" money
#8Sinfullyvannila(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2013 8:20:40 PM
I'm actually enjoying learning the piano a lot and I'm not averse to working out.
---
#9Sinfullyvannila(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2013 8:27:36 PM
wobbuffet10 posted...

Set some sort of goal for yourself. Mine is to not buy another game until next year, with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions. The last game I bought was on July 19th so I've gone close to 2 months without a new one.

That's a good suggestion. The only games I've really been thinking about that I "need" until the end of the year are a couple of 3DS games that may get more difficult to find after a while, so I'll probably shut it down after those come out. I think the biggest problem is randomly checking Steam and GoG at work when I'm bored.
---
#10BeknessPosted 9/9/2013 8:33:23 PM
I have the exact same problem. It's really hard to pass them up when they're so cheap. Especially bundles and steam sales. -__-

And a lot of the time I want to play them but I just get distracted and go back to my favourites. I'm replaying a lot of games right now, I really should play the new ones.

Good luck with kicking your habit. And you're right, it could be a LOT worse. At least you can admit you have a problem and you're not hurting anyone. I have this habit as well as booze and a few other really bad habits (not the ones you mentioned, thankfully). It's hard to change.

I've found that when I don't spend my money on games, it ends up a lot worse because I get more physical clutter by buying keyrings and action figures, etc of my favourite games.