This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What tablet do you guys recommend?

#51CardigansFanPosted 9/10/2013 9:23:08 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Some of those cloud storage solutions are cheaper than the price of a hard drive when amortized to the drives expected 3 year life span.

Lets not forget hard drives that randomly die, uncontrollable events like fires/natural disasters that will destroy physical media, etc.
---
3570k | GTX670 FTW | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD
Nexus 4 16GB White * Sharp Actius MM20 * Samsung NX1000 * AKA Magus77
#52NicodimusPosted 9/10/2013 9:24:33 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Nicodimus posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Nicodimus posted...

I am heavily into photography, so I do keep large amounts of photos, and add to them frequently.

I'm not saying that there is any tablet that can hold nearly that amount of stuff, but 32gb is just anemic.

So you might need to look into cloud storage anyways.

I'm 100% against the entire concept. Paying a company to hold my data in cyberspace introduces all kinds of potential access problems, when I could just purchase a device to do it for me indefinitely and not have a monthly bill for it.

Some of those cloud storage solutions are cheaper than the price of a hard drive when amortized to the drives expected 3 year life span.

I have hard drives from the 90s that still work fine. If I had a hard drive fail after 3 years, I'd be pretty mad.
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#53SinisterSlayPosted 9/10/2013 9:24:45 AM
CardigansFan posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Lets not forget hard drives that randomly die, uncontrollable events like fires/natural disasters that will destroy physical media, etc.

Airplanes that toss your luggage around....

Cloud storage isn't that bad.

And since many can sync folders for you, you can have it sync to your desktop.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#54SinisterSlayPosted 9/10/2013 9:25:31 AM
Nicodimus posted...

I have hard drives from the 90s that still work fine. If I had a hard drive fail after 3 years, I'd be pretty mad.

Portable drives have a very short life span. They tend to get knocked around a lot, and they tend to overheat in their enclosures.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#55NicodimusPosted 9/10/2013 9:27:15 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
CardigansFan posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

I concede that there are various ways for a hard drive to die. However, most of them don't apply to me. I don't fly, live in a low-risk area, etc. If you just back up your data, it's fine. The odds of 2 hard drives failing at once are extremely low.
---
#56SinisterSlayPosted 9/10/2013 9:28:51 AM
Nicodimus posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
CardigansFan posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

I concede that there are various ways for a hard drive to die. However, most of them don't apply to me. I don't fly, live in a low-risk area, etc. If you just back up your data, it's fine. The odds of 2 hard drives failing at once are extremely low.

You remind me of a funny story at our office, where 2 of our 3 raid drives did die within a week...
That sucked.... Had to get our offsite storage mailed to us since losing both drives lost everything. (took 2 weeks for a new drive to arrive)
---
#57NicodimusPosted 9/10/2013 9:32:43 AM
I've heard so many horror stories about RAID configs dying, when they are specifically supposed to be safer by design. It's pretty ironic.

I've never had a hard drive fail for any reason. Don't know if that's a typical experience or not, but that's mine. Same with SD cards.
---
#58SinisterSlayPosted 9/10/2013 9:34:58 AM(edited)
Nicodimus posted...
I've heard so many horror stories about RAID configs dying, when they are specifically supposed to be safer by design. It's pretty ironic.

I've never had a hard drive fail for any reason. Don't know if that's a typical experience or not, but that's mine. Same with SD cards.

Sometimes I suspect "commercial grade" means overpriced crap.
---
#59Jason_25Posted 9/10/2013 9:48:41 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Nicodimus posted...

Sometimes I suspect "commercial grade" means overpriced crap.

RAID, and any form of drive mirroring is not a suitable solution for backup for a number of reasons like lack of redundancy (only double in this case), hardware errors causing corrupted data to be written, and accidental deletion. Always triple backup at minimum, and it is usually best to have one of your backups physically disconnected and stored away. It sounds like you were triple backed up, but your third backup copy was offsite.
#60ShubPosted 9/10/2013 9:52:28 AM
Nicodimus posted...

That's because people often misunderstand what RAID is: it offers various levels of protection against hardware failure, not against data loss. While the two are often linked, they aren't always. If you need access to your data even in the face of a dead drive, use RAID, but always back up the data on the RAID array to a separate volume, and do so religiously. The mistake people make is to put everything on RAID and sit on their laurels. That's where horror stories come from.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.