This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Outlast DOESN'T depend on jump scares

#1pothocketPosted 9/10/2013 9:02:51 AM
To me, this is the most annoying criticism of the game because it's a poorly formed opinion made by those who watched 10 minutes of the game on Youtube.

I beat the game yesterday and I can confirm that the rare jump scares Outlast does have are paced out pretty well during the campaign and obviously isn't what the game is depending on for the horror. More often than not, when I jumped it was because my life actually was in serious danger or sometimes even scaring myself over nothing. The jump scares that are in the game are pretty minor and the haters are making a much bigger deal over them than the game does.

It is possible for a game to have jump scares and not rely on them. If you're a fan of horror - don't read reviews, don't watch Youtube clips - just get this game.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#2Defeat__UnknownPosted 9/10/2013 9:12:16 AM
When it comes to Horror games, reading reviews and watching videos can spoil the game. Horror games are generally only fun to play once because the scares aren't likely to be scary the second time around, or if you know they're coming due to reading reviews or watching videos. For both of these games, I read only the summarized comments. I want only to know if the reviewer enjoyed the game. The atmosphere, mechanics, story and such are for me to find out on my own.
---
http://s5.postimg.org/nlyanunjr/Yolandi_Visser.jpg
#3Fade2black001Posted 9/10/2013 9:13:21 AM
Horror games or movies nowadays have no scare factor in them. Its such a shame.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#4BIGGESTPS3FANPosted 9/10/2013 9:15:29 AM
Fade2black001 posted...

Pretty much this. Though, I'm not sure if it's just because I've played so many of them or if they just aren't as scary anymore. I still play them for environment, though. Nothing like a creepy environment.
---
Intel i5-3570k | Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 x2 | 8 GB G.Skill Ripjaw X | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Corsair 500R | Corsair HX750 | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 120 GB Intel 520 SSD
#5Fade2black001Posted 9/10/2013 9:18:04 AM
BIGGESTPS3FAN posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

Pretty much this. Though, I'm not sure if it's just because I've played so many of them or if they just aren't as scary anymore. I still play them for environment, though. Nothing like a creepy environment.

Yeah. A change a scenery is nice
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#6AnatomyHorrorPosted 9/10/2013 9:18:48 AM
Played through this at a friends house. I really enjoyed it. One of the best horror games made. I wouldn't say it's scary but the game had me feeling emotions I've never felt from a game before. Mainly the intensity and nervousness.

Definitely gonna pick it up on a sale maybe 50% off or something. It's worth the price though and I wish I had pre ordered it when it was 10% off.
#7pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 8:18:00 AM
And Judging from the overwhelming negative reaction to Amnesia 2, a few jump scares ain't looking too bad now.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#8phy2jshPosted 9/11/2013 8:38:17 AM
I'm only a couple of hours into the game. It has made me pretty anxious (if not exactly scared), but the scare tactics are pretty basic: lots of jump scares; being chased by deformed mental patients; lots of darkness. Nothing in the story or setting has created any real sense of fear or uneasiness like the Dark Descent (or any good horror film) does.

As I say, I'm not far in, but it is no where near as good as amnesia at this point.
#9UnderwaterAirPosted 9/11/2013 10:05:39 AM
Fatal Frame 2.
#10BogePosted 9/11/2013 11:25:35 AM
I think it's because they rely on jump scares!

I was playing Resident Evil: Code Veronica the other day. It's been years since I played it last. My skin was crawling just knowing there was a zombie in the same room as me and I was backed into a corner trying to do something. That's "scary". These startling moments where things jump out at you are just stupid kiddy type of scares.

Fatal Frame was the "scariest" game I've played.

So after Code Veronica, I am going with the "they just don't make 'em like they used to" stance.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.