This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Outlast DOESN'T depend on jump scares

#11Tucker_BAPosted 9/11/2013 12:30:20 PM
UnderwaterAir posted...
Fatal Frame 2.

The best. PSX and PS2 were a gold mine for great horror titles.
---
Houston Texans: 1-0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjD6wo9BIyM
#12AnatomyHorrorPosted 9/11/2013 12:32:20 PM
PS2 was the golden age for Survival Horror. Seems like horror games are on the rise again as well.
#13Moose_Of_WoePosted 9/11/2013 12:32:43 PM
Boge posted...

So after Code Veronica, I am going with the "they just don't make 'em like they used to" stance.

The scariest part of Code Veronica was the transvestite.
#14pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 12:39:06 PM
Boge posted...
I think it's because they rely on jump scares!

I was playing Resident Evil: Code Veronica the other day. It's been years since I played it last. My skin was crawling just knowing there was a zombie in the same room as me and I was backed into a corner trying to do something. That's "scary". These startling moments where things jump out at you are just stupid kiddy type of scares.

Fatal Frame was the "scariest" game I've played.

So after Code Veronica, I am going with the "they just don't make 'em like they used to" stance.

Outlast has a ton of parts in the game where you're in the same area as a hostile enemy that you're trying to avoid. A lot more of that type of moment than the jump scares that people can't seem to get over.

And yes, I agree, startling moments where things jump out at you are stupid scares. Thankfully Outlast doesn't have that many of them and most of time when something jumps out at you it's trying to kill you!

I've said it before, the jump scares are very minor events and wouldn't even work unless the player was already scared.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#15pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 12:43:59 PM
AnatomyHorror posted...
PS2 was the golden age for Survival Horror. Seems like horror games are on the rise again as well.

The problem is that survival horror has turned into action horror. It's common in modern "horror"
games that you start with a pistol and end with a rocket launcher. Your characters grows and gets stronger/better as the game progresses. I don't want to spoil Outlast but let's just say the opposite happens and the game makes a strong argument that it is the direction horror games should be headed in.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#16AnatomyHorrorPosted 9/11/2013 12:56:11 PM
That's exactly the problem. It's also much easier to design your game around letting you blast monsters than having to actually manage inventory or hide etc. There's zero tension in the Dead Space games and other action-horror titles. Just like checkpoints are the easier way out than having manual save points/limited saves via items (ie., ink ribbons). Same with regenerating health and having to actually scavenge for health packs. I wanna say they've casualized the genre (same with plenty others) but really they're just making it easier on themselves (the devs).