This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think Valve could deal the death blow to Xbox One with a Steambox?

#21Ch3wyPosted 9/10/2013 1:00:24 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...
Knight2520 posted...
If Microsoft was happy with pre-orders they wouldn't still be available just about everywhere.

Absolutely not true.

Given they don't have enough units to launch worldwide, how could this possibly be spun as a positive?

what? How are pre-orders available just about everywhere if there aren't enough units to launch worldwide? Are you talking about pre-orders specifically in the US?

But PC games aren't saturated. Think Sim City, Civilization, World of Warcraft, League of Legends etc and many of Valve's own offerings. Add in that PC is where indie games hit first, the Steam marketplace that most people don't know they love yet, and Valve's own offerings being exclusive isn't minor. Not to mention no yearly service fee for online play.

I think what he's talking about is the "sit down on the couch, plug and play on my TV in the living room" market. The target demographic is the same for traditional consoles and the Steambox. Who's going to want to play those games best played with a M&K on the couch? Use a controller instead? How are you different from the consoles at that point, especially given that so many games are multi-platform.

I'm missing the part where you can't just connect it to a monitor and use it as a PC. That is possible, as well as connecting it to your TV. It's the best of both worlds and as a media device surpasses what the consoles can do as well.

Also Valve has been working on controllers, it's naive to think they can't come up with a device that suits both, possibly like Wii Remote but better.

As for pre-orders Microsoft only launching in 13 country. The excuse is localization but in reality we know it's supply. Yet if supply is low and I can still walk into local Gamestop, Best Buy, or Walmart and pre-order, that should tell you demand is low if they are so supply constrained.

Are you drunk?
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#22MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 1:00:45 PM
cynicwithin2000 posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...
Knight2520 posted...
with the bone floundering,

Have a source?

Pre-orders well lower than Wii U?

So, in other words you have zero proof. Nice. Typically Sonydrone.

Upset the bone is failing? It will only lead to great things anyway. Microsoft is toxic for this industry.
#23MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 1:04:00 PM
Where I am pre-orders are still available in stores. They are sold out online but stores are a different story. Also do not underestimate scalpers. Many of them bought Wii U just to resell. It's the same case with the bone. PS4 is driven by demand.
#24JonWood007Posted 9/10/2013 1:06:11 PM
Based on what I heard about this theoretical steambox, no, it seems like it's too weak to directly compete. Not to mention it seems redundant considering we have PCs for steam.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#25cynicwithin2000Posted 9/10/2013 1:28:10 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...
Where I am pre-orders are still available in stores. They are sold out online but stores are a different story. Also do not underestimate scalpers. Many of them bought Wii U just to resell. It's the same case with the bone. PS4 is driven by demand.

Upset that your reality is not everyone's? Perfect console fanboy logic. DERP! Itz soldz outz here!!!! It must be teh betestest!1.

Go back to the sony board, drone.
---
i7-4770k @4.4Ghz | AsRock z87 OC Formula | Corsair 16GB@1600 | H100i | AX1200i | 500GB 840evo ssd | 5TB 7200rpm | EVGA GTX 780 Classified SLI | ASUS 2560x1440 |
#26MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 1:36:26 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...

Upset that your reality is not everyone's? Perfect console fanboy logic. DERP! Itz soldz outz here!!!! It must be teh betestest!1.

Pretty sad. M$ fanboys just can't accept the truth. That Microsoft built an underpowered console that no one wants. Have fun with your RROD 2.0
#27Ch3wyPosted 9/10/2013 1:38:34 PM
What truth? You haven't posted any proof to your claims at all.

You've also made the claim that both supply and demand are low. That doesn't even make sense.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#28cynicwithin2000Posted 9/10/2013 1:38:46 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...

Pretty sad. M$ fanboys just can't accept the truth. That Microsoft built an underpowered console that no one wants. Have fun with your RROD 2.0

So because I'm not dumb enough to buy a ps4, I'm automatically buying an xbone. lol. You sonydrones just get better and better (ie easier and easier). Have fun with your ultra, super nifty share button. I should have known sonydrones were facebook losers too.
---
i7-4770k @4.4Ghz | AsRock z87 OC Formula | Corsair 16GB@1600 | H100i | AX1200i | 500GB 840evo ssd | 5TB 7200rpm | EVGA GTX 780 Classified SLI | ASUS 2560x1440 |
#29gatorattack05Posted 9/10/2013 1:45:52 PM
You can't kill what's already dead
#30kelemvorPosted 9/10/2013 4:08:27 PM
I think the Steambox could fill a huge hole in the market if it's basically a Xbox without the restrictive software, paid online, and spying camera. It's basically going to be a HTPC that anyone could build with Linux but with a Steam optimized version, and easy for console users to just "hook up and play".

Add possible Occulus Rift support, backwards compatibility for games decades old, easy to upgrade.... I think it could be an easy sell for the Console gamer who isn't ready to jump to a full fledged PC setup but is tired of Micro$oft.

Not sure why everyone is flaming the TC and defending the Xbox One, I thought this was the PC gaming board???
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane