This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone here use a wireless media center?

#1Star_NutsPosted 9/10/2013 10:00:07 AM
Thinking about having my entire iTunes library wireless through my wifi. What's the best way to do this? I need to access it with 2 Apple TVs and my laptop. I believe I could just connect my iTunes storage to my AirPort Extreme router, right? If I did that, could I still have all media directly download to the HDD even though its over wifi?
---
Not changing this sig until the Chargers win the Super Bowl - 31 Dec 2012
http://images.pictureshunt.com/pics/s/san_diego_chargers-3705.gif
#2UberLurkerPosted 9/10/2013 10:25:48 AM
I do something similar in my home, just not with Apple since I don't touch the stuff.

I have a NAS hooked up to my home network that contains all my media files... videos, music, pictures, documents, everything. This thing has it's own IP so it acts like a mini-server, media is streamed via DLNA to compatible clients, PCs access it all via good 'ol fashioned network shares. The NAS itself is wired into the network since I run gigabit and enjoy streaming uncompressed 1080p content, but it could theoretically run over wifi if the NAS had such an interface. Also, many of the clients around the house are wifi so that part definitely works as well... with bandwidth limitations of course.

I'm not sure about the specifics of your setup but it should work the same as mine in the abstract sense, just substitute your media store in place of the NAS in my example. Make it available over the network then configure each client such that it abides by the protocols that your media store runs to access your content. Again I'm not quite sure how you'd do that in Apple terms though.