This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommend some type of upgrade?

#1Ryohazuki10469Posted 9/10/2013 2:28:24 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking to add an upgrade to my PC but not sure what to add. Some of my specs are in my sig, but for the other things my monitor is only an 1600x900 monitor works fine for now though, not too interested in that department yet even though my plan is always to get one of those 27" 1440p monitors at some point. My keyboard is a razer lycosa and mouse is a deathadder. One of the upgrades i've been thinking is my mouse and upgrading to a Mionix Naos 8200.

I'm willing to spend of upwards to 300 on an upgrade(s). Not sure what else to add, but whatever info is needed to help me I'm willing to answer.
---
PSN: DisRastamon MGO: RyoHazuki XBL: DIS Rastamon Nintendo ID: RyoHazuki1
Core i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz / 8GB RAM / Sapphire Vapor-X 7950 / 750GB HDD
#2daemon_danPosted 9/10/2013 2:36:55 PM
Honestly, your rig is solid as hell. That mouse will actually be a STEEP downgrade from the deathadder. If you really don't want to get a monitor right now, what you could do is get a really good pair of headphones and a soundcard with a built in headphone amp. Otherwise, you're good for now.

Maybe a ducky shine 2 keyboard? Something like that.
---
"Asgaard's always been my home! But I'm of different blood.
I will overthrow their throne! Deceiver of the Gods!."
#3NicodimusPosted 9/10/2013 2:39:17 PM
Honestly, your RAM, CPU, GPU, and HDD all look very good.

For $300, I see a few options:

-1080p monitor (which I know you said isn't a priority, but it's a realistic upgrade for that price)

-A second 7950 to run in Crossfire (although I hear bad things about the stuttering, may be fine if they can fix it in the drivers)

-A small SSD to add as your boot drive. It makes everything respond and load much faster, and makes overall use much more pleasant.
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#4Ryohazuki10469(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 3:45:19 PM
daemon_dan posted...
Honestly, your rig is solid as hell. That mouse will actually be a STEEP downgrade from the deathadder. If you really don't want to get a monitor right now, what you could do is get a really good pair of headphones and a soundcard with a built in headphone amp. Otherwise, you're good for now.

Maybe a ducky shine 2 keyboard? Something like that.

Really? I've heard good things about the Naos 8200. I have the original first gen deathadder, I believe. I got it back in 07 maybe or 08. I play mostly palm grip and held my cousins G500 and it made me want a different mouse. Keyboard I was also thinking of as well, which I'm also gonna look into.

Nicodimus posted...
Honestly, your RAM, CPU, GPU, and HDD all look very good.

For $300, I see a few options....

Crossfire is something I've been considering, especially with the price drops on the 7950. Problem is I'll have to upgrade my PSU because it's only 650W. So it makes me think if my next GPU should be an actual upgrade or crossfire. SSD was also one of the heavy things I was considering.

So far, high up in my list are an SSD drive, and a keyboard. A mouse is in consideration, along with the crossfire and my monitor being the last thought.
---
#5WyzeGyePosted 9/10/2013 5:37:04 PM
Go for a 250 gb ssd and a keyboard of your choice.
---
http://i.imgur.com/2dhh8tn.gif | http://i.imgur.com/p5EXSiq.jpg
http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/2/2/7/201227_v1.gif
#6Ryohazuki10469(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 7:46:16 AM
WyzeGye posted...

I'm actually think of this. I just hate how I get when I decide on buying things. >_<

Anyone else think SSD and Keyboard is good choice? Just curious.
---
#7NicodimusPosted 9/11/2013 8:01:55 AM
Ryohazuki10469 posted...
WyzeGye posted...

I'm actually think of this. I just hate how I get when I decide on buying things. >_<

Keyboards are very subjective. Some people like the clicky feel of a mechanical keyboard, or even have preferences about specific types of mechanical keyboards. Other people are happy with a $5 keyboard that came with their system. It's completely personal preference.

SSDs are a very safe bet. I used to sit there for 90 seconds after Windows booted, waiting for all my programs to open after I'd logged in. Now it takes about 3 seconds, and I'm good to go. Programs also launch nearly instantly, when before they would take a varying amount of time. Photoshop was especially bad, sometimes taking almost 2 minutes to load all the stuff, and now it only takes a few seconds. Most games see a big benefit as well...any time you load a new level or area in the game, and it used to take a while, those loading screens will now flash for a second and then you're there. There are a handful of games that aren't any faster (I have only found one game, myself) but the vast majority are. Much less waiting time is something that has universal appeal.
---
#8MissHedgehogPosted 9/11/2013 8:11:35 AM
Ryohazuki10469 posted...
WyzeGye posted...

Yes. SSD definitely, it's a very logical choice from where you stand now.
Keyboard really depends on personal preference. If you like the one that you have, you could probably just stick with it. But if you want something new, you'd have to decide if you want a mechanical one, and if so, what type of keys. I personally just got a Razer Black Widow (Cherry Blue switches) that I really love, but others might hate it. So I can't really recommend anything in that regard, you'd just have to go to a store and try some out.
---
3DS FC 5043-2061-7637
#9Ryohazuki10469(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 8:43:46 AM
MissHedgehog posted...
Ryohazuki10469 posted...
WyzeGye posted...

Keyboard really depends on personal preference. If you like the one that you have, you could probably just stick with it. But if you want something new, you'd have to decide if you want a mechanical one, and if so, what type of keys. I personally just got a Razer Black Widow (Cherry Blue switches) that I really love, but others might hate it. So I can't really recommend anything in that regard, you'd just have to go to a store and try some out.

Hmm yeah SSD seems like a for sure. I'm trying to decide soon so thats 164 dollars since I"m probably gonna get the Samsung 840 Evo 250GB, what else should I get if not a keyboard? What would be ideal even though i would like a replacement keyboard at some point.
---
#10NicodimusPosted 9/11/2013 8:54:35 AM
Ryohazuki10469 posted...
MissHedgehog posted...
Ryohazuki10469 posted...
WyzeGye posted...

Hmm yeah SSD seems like a for sure. I'm trying to decide soon so thats 164 dollars since I"m probably gonna get the Samsung 840 Evo 250GB, what else should I get if not a keyboard? What would be ideal even though i would like a replacement keyboard at some point.

Do you have an external drive that you can back up your important files and a disk image onto? If your hard drive fails, or you get a power surge, or someone steals your PC, or any other number of awful events occur, it certainly is nice to have everything saved on a USB HDD somewhere in your closet. Just an idea.
---