This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are the people who say "PC Master Race" being serious?

#81KillerTrufflePosted 9/10/2013 5:02:56 PM
TehPwnzerer posted...
Your entire post is founded on miraculously random numbers. We have no idea of assessing anything remotely related to what you have given me. I could just as easily say that console gamers could be getting their games for free and and at a frequency rate of two games a week.

The prices are not random - they're estimates. There's a difference. A new console game is $60. A new PC game is usually $50. A deep discount on a console game is $30. A deep discount on a PC game is $15. Used console games typically run around $20-30. A huge number of PC games can be had for less than $10, with lots of those less than $5, and that's not even counting the indie bundles. It was not a precisely calculated average... just a quick estimate.

As for the 1 game per month, that may be somewhat random, but every gamer I know buys at least that much - many more on PC, in fact, due to cheapness. For example, I myself have purchased 76 games (technically more) in the past 12 months, for a total of less than $350. That comes out to less than $5 per game, and several of those have been AAA games that held steady at $60 on consoles (I have several consoles - I watched prices). There is no WAY console gamers can hope for that sort of haul. And yes, I have played the majority of them, aside from a few I didn't care for that came in bundles.

A lot of people don't buy as many as I did in the past year, so 1 game per month, or 12 games per year, is pretty bloody conservative compared to 76 games per year. The more games purchased in a year, the greater the price difference between consoles and PC. So while 1 game per month was somewhat arbitrary, based on gamers I know or have had contact with, it's on the low end if anything, and increasing it only makes PC cheaper still.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#82TehPwnzererPosted 9/10/2013 5:05:55 PM
Giblet_Enjoyer posted...
PC gamers are PC gamers because they can be. Console gamers are not PC gamers because they can't be. Get it now?

Who says this? I have $15,000 in my savings account. Should I just blow it all on a brand new car despite the fact that I take public transit?

Giblet_Enjoyer posted...
PC gaming is a premium thing, and offers premium quality. Console gaming is a low-budget thing and offers low-budget quality. Most people would go with PC gaming if the hardware were no more expensive because PC gaming is better.

Who's denying this? Of course people would grab a gaming PC if it were the same cost. I'm sure people would rather have a mansion if it cost the same as a bungalow and a Ferrari if it cost the same as a Volvo if it was up to them. That's not the point, the point is it isn't, and some people don't value a hobby like playing videogames and spending a grand on it the same way others do.

Giblet_Enjoyer posted...
Point is, console gamers DO care (very much so in my experience) about graphical fidelity, framerate (CoD, one of the very few 60 FPS console shooters is wildly successful--coincidence?), resolution, etc. They sure as s*** don't refer to them as such, but they do care. They just use simpler terms, which is perhaps why you never noticed.

Anyone half intelligent dropping their money on ANYTHING, is smart enough to research their purchase before shelling out the money on something. Obviously we want the best our money can buy, but to them, it's not important enough to spend upwards of 1+k on them. Some people still buy DVDs because they don't see the value in buying a blu ray player.

Giblet_Enjoyer posted...
Also, you screwed yourself earlier when you said that console gamers don't want PC exclusives but PC gamers want console exclusives and then went on to say:

"See these are things that PC gamers care about and they seem to think that console gamers are of a lesser breed of gamer because they don't, but the argument could actually be made that it's because they don't care about any of that that actually makes them a superior breed of gamer. To them, it's about the game."

So console gamers being picky proves that console gamers are superior but PC gamers being picky...also proves that console gamers are superior. Lol.

I don't understand how you got that out of what I said. I think you're misunderstanding me.
#83Chaos_MissilePosted 9/10/2013 5:12:15 PM
*teleports in*

TehPwnzerer posted...
AMDZFan posted...
TehPwnzerer posted...
(...)

But console gamers don't really care that your gaming PC can check email and browse the web as well as game. To them, they're better off investing in a chromebook or a smartphone. Just because PCs can do everything doesn't mean console gamers will do everything on PC. Again, why pay for what you don't need?

You're right: why pay for what you dont need indeed.

Gaming is a luxury. Getting communicated is a necessity of life.

You can survive without gaming(though it'd be boring for some), you cant survive without communication. Everyone will have a PC. Some might have a console.

You might as well get a PC that can do everything.

Instead you want to spend money for 3 seperate items to do the same things a PC can do: a handphone to chat, a PC to work and a console to game. A handphone is a necessity because of communication and portability, a PC is a necessity for work and entertainment purpose. A console is there only to game and for entertainment purposes as well.

Notice how in ALL offices a PC will always be there, but you wont see a PS360Wii at all?

TL;DR you dont need a console; you need a PC.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#84TimePharaohPosted 9/10/2013 5:14:37 PM
OmegaDL50 posted...
If I were to add up the costs for JUST my PS3 and it's library alone, it most certainly does NOT cost less then what it cost to build my PC and it's library of a 150 or so games.

Hell not even factoring the costs for other consoles / handhelds either.

It's most definitely NOT objective that console gaming is superior in price.

So did you buy all your games at a flea market? Because this is literally statistically wrong.

Full price PS3 games cost more than full price PC games.
PS3 games on sale cost more than PC games on sale
PS3 costs less than a PC (amount varies, but the average "gaming computer" referenced) is probably $700-1000.

So if you buy every thing brand new....that's at least $1500 MORE you paid on PS3 games alone. Which more than covers the entire price difference between the PS3 and the PC....

And that's assuming that every single PC game was fullblown retail on release day.

So unless you're buying stacks of old ass games on ebay while preordering every PC game you have, Nope.avi
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#85DV8ingSourcesPosted 9/10/2013 5:15:52 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
OmegaDL50 posted...
If I were to add up the costs for JUST my PS3 and it's library alone, it most certainly does NOT cost less then what it cost to build my PC and it's library of a 150 or so games.

So did you buy all your games at a flea market? Because this is literally statistically wrong.

PS3 costs less than a PC (amount varies, but the average "gaming computer" referenced) is probably $700-1000.

So if you buy every thing brand new....that's at least $1500 MORE you paid on PS3 games alone. Which more than covers the entire price difference between the PS3 and the PC....

And that's assuming that every single PC game was fullblown retail on release day.

So unless you're buying stacks of old ass games on ebay while preordering every PC game you have, Nope.avi

He's agreeing with you mang.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#86Ha_D00DPosted 9/10/2013 5:21:11 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
OmegaDL50 posted...

I'm shocked. TimePharaoh for the comprehension fail.
---
HAF 922// i5 3570k// Hyper 212 Evo// P8Z77-V LK// Sapphire 7970 Dual-X Edition// 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws// SeaSonic 620w// Mushkin 120GB
#87KillerTrufflePosted 9/10/2013 5:24:03 PM
Ha_D00D posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
OmegaDL50 posted...

I'm shocked. TimePharaoh for the comprehension fail.

Were you also shocked that the sun rose today? ;)
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#88OmegaDL50Posted 9/10/2013 5:35:00 PM
TehPwnzerer posted...
If you want to get super technical about this, then technically you're not buying ANY games. You're licensing them through an online distributer. You don't really own them. If Valve ever goes under, that 12 dollars will be gone forever. I can only imagine how much money some gamers have spent through Valve. One day it's going to all be gone.

If you want to argue the point of longevity.

Let me just say this, I cannot honestly say my PS3 and it's library will be playable in 10 years from now, the same cannot be said for my PC library.

One day my PS3 will simply stop working. Hell one day they will halt production of it and making it even MORE difficult to replace. One day it's going to be all gone.

Of course by then I'll likely have a PC that is capable of emulating a PS3.
---
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.
#89Jason_HudsonPosted 9/10/2013 6:02:53 PM
I'm always serious when I say that, I have a gaming PC and I'm proud of it.
---
"My name is Spartan Jay, the greatest Black Ops 2 player of all time. Because I am on your team, this team will win" ~ Spartan Jay
#90Giblet_EnjoyerPosted 9/10/2013 6:03:02 PM
TehPwnzerer posted...
Who says this? I have $15,000 in my savings account. Should I just blow it all on a brand new car despite the fact that I take public transit?

Gaming and transportation are not comparable. You use transportation because you need to. You game because you want to. Therefore, when someone games, they're likely to go with the best experience that they can afford. That, and the price difference being massively larger in your example.

Who's denying this? Of course people would grab a gaming PC if it were the same cost. I'm sure people would rather have a mansion if it cost the same as a bungalow and a Ferrari if it cost the same as a Volvo if it was up to them. That's not the point, the point is it isn't, and some people don't value a hobby like playing videogames and spending a grand on it the same way others do.

You've pretty much defeated your own argument, then. If "people would grab a gaming PC if it were the same cost", then that must mean that PC gaming is better, and the only people who do not partake in it are those for which it is not financially viable, meaning that everyone for whom it IS financially viable is basically in an elite club. And if it's the case that console gamers only don't participate because they are ignorant of PC gaming's benefits, that still leaves PC gamers in an elite club.

Anyone half intelligent dropping their money on ANYTHING, is smart enough to research their purchase before shelling out the money on something. Obviously we want the best our money can buy, but to them, it's not important enough to spend upwards of 1+k on them. Some people still buy DVDs because they don't see the value in buying a blu ray player.

No amount of intelligence will lead them to discovering something which they have never considered (PC gaming), though. That's the thing. Even for some people who DO have the disposable income for it, buying a gaming PC isn't an option, because they simply are not aware of PC gaming enough to even consider looking into it. I've had (adult) friends and acquaintances blown away when they see how smoothly and clearly my PC renders games compared to their consoles. Those people evidently do care about visuals and such--the only reason they didn't want a gaming PC before that was because they didn't know about them. There's also the fact that first-hand experience with each is necessary to fully appreciate the difference, which console-only gamers by definition haven't likely done.

TL;DR: The only people who don't like Krabby Patties have never tasted one!
I don't understand how you got that out of what I said. I think you're misunderstanding me.

Because you paint pickiness in a positive light when talking about console gamers, and in a negative light when talking about PC gamers. It shows your bias. To clarify further, you implied that console exclusives are better (PC gamers want console exclusives, but not vice-versa), meaning that console gamers being choosy is perfectly reasonable. They just avoid bad experiences. The same could be said about PC gamers and their standards regarding framerate, resolution, etc. as well. Console gamers being picky about games could just as easily be seen as a bad thing as PC gamers being picky about technical things can.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/katanaman444
Pccouchcoop.com http://www.co-optimus.com/system/4/pc.html