The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best rail shooters on pc?

#1thanthenPosted 9/10/2013 3:28:40 PM
That use mouse as controller.
---
Rock is fine, scissors are overpowered.
-paper
#2Kokuei05Posted 9/10/2013 3:30:00 PM
Virtua Cop
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUAZnjFbOyI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbxOaq6_i1Y
#3DerPancakePosted 9/10/2013 3:30:23 PM
The only real way to play a rail shooter is with the Wiimote or with a gun periphetal.
---
Nope Nope Nope!!!!
#4thanthen(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 3:37:24 PM
I remember playing house of the dead 3 with mouse seemed ok, think the series died though:(
---
-paper
#5Ikari GendoPosted 9/10/2013 3:38:40 PM
How about typing of the dead? Why limit use of a mouse when you can improve your typing skills.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
#6wizardmonPosted 9/10/2013 3:40:45 PM(edited)
Typing of the dead.
Edit: Ninja'd due to slow typing speed with Surface on screen keyboard.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#7thanthen(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 3:43:39 PM
lol im looking for something flashier and newer though

gonna try dyad
---
-paper
#8Relentless639Posted 9/10/2013 3:46:58 PM
There's Yar's Revenge (reboot).
IDK if it was ever patched, when I tried it, it ran like ass and was extremely unplayably buggy.

Barring that I only know about Virtua Cop.
#9UberLurkerPosted 9/10/2013 4:39:49 PM(edited)
DerPancake posted...
The only real way to play a rail shooter is with the Wiimote or with a gun periphetal.

Regarding (proper) gun peripherals I concur, but on PCs that ain't easy. I did have some success getting my GunCon2's to work with MAME by using WinGun and running the video out via composite connector to an old CRT TV I had laying around. Played some Point Blank and it felt very nice... was a serious pain in the backside to get it to work though, and even then the aim was a little squirrely sometimes due to the "rolling-x" issue (I'm still a little unsure of what this is exactly). Even so, CRT lightguns are leaps and bounds better than the progressive scan compatible "lightguns" that are all we have today =P

Please note than when I mention gun peripherals, I'm referring to true lightguns that operate on CRT based screens.

Regarding Wiimotes (and any other progressive scan solution) I disagree. In my experience they just don't aim the same as CRT guns and even with calibration you can't get the gun's iron sights to correspond to where the gun is actually aiming. This is due to the fact that the gun's sighting is reliant upon points of reference provided by LEDs mounted on the top/bottom or sides of your TV, just like how the Wiimote sensor bar works. The gun isn't actually looking at the screen and determining the aim by what the gun captures, rather it approximates the aim by determining its orientation compared to the LED points of reference. The end result is that you'll aim either a little higher or a little lower than the gun's actual sights would otherwise indicate. I hear LCD TopGuns are a little better since the LEDs are on the side instead of above/below, but even then there's a small minimum/maximum distance you need to be from the LED bars to get the gun to register anything. Also, this approximation process introduces significant lag when aiming. Try moving your gun around rapidly and watch as the onscreen crosshair tries to keep up with your motions... it's pretty sad and makes precision shots much harder than they should be.

TL;DR version:

CRT guns? Good, but difficult to implement with modern display technology (ironically).
LCD guns? Bad, they just plain suck compared to the old school stuff.

Apologies for the rant, I'm a huge old school lightgun game fan and this is serious business to me... used to beat Time Crisis 2 on just one credit back in my prime =)
#10TheMisfitPosted 9/10/2013 5:27:04 PM
DerPancake posted...

What about rail shooters like Space Harrier, Panzer Dragoon and StarFox that require character movement?
---
GameFAQs fanboy for 12 years.