This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about HD gaming

#1cookie_kidPosted 9/10/2013 2:35:30 PM
I have a 23" 1920 x 1080 monitor with no HDMI port, only a VGA one. Does this mean that this monitor cannot support HD gaming even though I have the graphics card for it from my desktop?
---
The best kind of pain is the painless kind
#2ShebeskiiPosted 9/10/2013 2:37:13 PM
You must have a DVI port.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#3cookie_kid(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 2:40:46 PM
Is a DVI port basically the alternative to an HDMI one? My monitor does have a DVI port, so now all I need is a DVI cable to connect it to my pc, right?
---
#4thatfool12GsPosted 9/10/2013 3:29:57 PM
cookie_kid posted...
Is a DVI port basically the alternative to an HDMI one? My monitor does have a DVI port, so now all I need is a DVI cable to connect it to my pc, right?

DVI is the same visual quality of HDMI, it just lacks the ability to carry an audio signal
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#5cookie_kid(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 3:35:03 PM
thatfool12Gs posted...
cookie_kid posted...

DVI is the same visual quality of HDMI, it just lacks the ability to carry an audio signal

So if I use a dvi connector and use my headphones as my source of audio, does that mean I won't be hearing "HD" sound quality?
Finally, would using an adapter solve all my problems for HD visual and audio?
---
#6TheRagingPosted 9/10/2013 3:45:58 PM
cookie_kid posted...
thatfool12Gs posted...
cookie_kid posted...

So if I use a dvi connector and use my headphones as my source of audio, does that mean I won't be hearing "HD" sound quality?
Finally, would using an adapter solve all my problems for HD visual and audio?

You should be fine with using headphones this way as the DVI cable will just be carrying you video signal to your monitor whereas the headphones will be getting the signal from the headphone port.

Not sure on the adapter as I believe the DVI cable will only carry the video signal regardless of adapter.
---
CM Stryker | i5-4670K @ 4.2GHz | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | MSI MPower MAX
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 | ASUS ROG MATRIX 7970 Platinum | 1TB HDD | Corsair HX850
#7Mytheos77Posted 9/13/2013 7:41:47 AM
HD video means it runs at 720 or 1080. In other words DVD or Blu-Ray.

As far as gaming it's what resolution you run it at, if your video card can run games at 1080 smoothly, then you're fine.

There is no such thing as HD audio...the audio from an HDMI cable is digital vs analog.

The DVI cable cant carry as much bandwidth as an awesome HDMI cable, but unless you have a 3D TV and use the bandwidth, its moot. Even then I doubt the difference would be worth talking about unless you're a videophille.

You could buy a crap set of speakers and connect it to the headphone jack if you wanted better quality sound than a standard set of headphones.
#8Mytheos77Posted 9/13/2013 7:43:07 AM
And no an adapter wont solve any issue.

A DVI cable does NOT carry an audio signal. Period.
#9SinisterSlayPosted 9/13/2013 7:48:51 AM
Technically a VGA plug can support 1080p as well, although most TV's don't off that port.

Whether or not it results in the same quality as HDMI or DVI is another question entirely.

I've noticed my VGA screens get a bit blurry looking at 1600 x 1200
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#10gastamanPosted 9/13/2013 7:54:58 AM
Mytheos77 posted...
HD video means it runs at 720 or 1080. In other words DVD or Blu-Ray.

DVD's aren't 720p or 1080p natively.

Mytheos77 posted...
The DVI cable cant carry as much bandwidth as an awesome HDMI cable

In regards to video bandwidth, DVI and HDMI are the same.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200