This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about HD gaming

#11gastamanPosted 9/13/2013 8:56:38 AM
Mytheos77 posted...
And no an adapter wont solve any issue.

A DVI cable does NOT carry an audio signal. Period.

Actually, some setups can pass audio through the DVI to an HDMI via an adaptor.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#12KillerTrufflePosted 9/13/2013 9:31:01 AM
Mytheos77 posted...
HD video means it runs at 720 or 1080. In other words DVD or Blu-Ray.

As far as gaming it's what resolution you run it at, if your video card can run games at 1080 smoothly, then you're fine.

There is no such thing as HD audio...the audio from an HDMI cable is digital vs analog.

The DVI cable cant carry as much bandwidth as an awesome HDMI cable, but unless you have a 3D TV and use the bandwidth, its moot. Even then I doubt the difference would be worth talking about unless you're a videophille.

You could buy a crap set of speakers and connect it to the headphone jack if you wanted better quality sound than a standard set of headphones.

It took 7 posts to point this out? Computers have been "HD gaming" since long before HDMI or DVI were ever thought of. 1280x1024 is HD. HD is just a buzzword to identify a specific resolution, and VGA has supported high resolutions for ages.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#13Lum_YatsuraPosted 9/13/2013 11:07:47 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
Mytheos77 posted...

As far as gaming it's what resolution you run it at, if your video card can run games at 1080 smoothly, then you're fine.

There is no such thing as HD audio...the audio from an HDMI cable is digital vs analog.

The DVI cable cant carry as much bandwidth as an awesome HDMI cable, but unless you have a 3D TV and use the bandwidth, its moot. Even then I doubt the difference would be worth talking about unless you're a videophille.

You could buy a crap set of speakers and connect it to the headphone jack if you wanted better quality sound than a standard set of headphones.

It took 7 posts to point this out? Computers have been "HD gaming" since long before HDMI or DVI were ever thought of. 1280x1024 is HD. HD is just a buzzword to identify a specific resolution, and VGA has supported high resolutions for ages.

Yup... Long forgotten era. HD resolutions on CRTs too small to look good at it.
Funny pumping in 2048x1536, then have tiny pixels.
---
What's the buzz? A high voltage positive ion attack!? Chaaa!
#14cookie_kid(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 2:00:43 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Mytheos77 posted...

So in other words, I don't really need an HDMI or DVI cable if my main objective is to play games at a high resolution? I can just use a typical VGA cable and set my graphics to high settings and there won't be any differences?
---
The best kind of pain is the painless kind
#15reincarnator07Posted 9/17/2013 2:02:35 PM
VGA does have a lesser image quality than the other connectors. However, it will run higher resolutions just fine. It's like comparing a TN monitor to an IPS monitor.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#16WerdnAndreWPosted 9/17/2013 2:41:39 PM(edited)
cookie_kid posted...
So in other words, I don't really need an HDMI or DVI cable if my main objective is to play games at a high resolution? I can just use a typical VGA cable and set my graphics to high settings and there won't be any differences?

VGA is a analog connection and LCD monitors are digital. The GPU has to convert the digital signal to analog (VGA) then the monitor will convert that analog signal back to digital. This process can affect quality. Also, the quality of the vga cable can cause some issues like ghosting. VGA does support "HD gaming" but if you want the best quality possible then go with HDMI or DVI.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#17cookie_kid(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 11:12:33 AM
Gotcha, thanks for the helpful responses everyone!
---
The best kind of pain is the painless kind