This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It's a logical fallacy to say that your current PC is as powerful as a next-gen

#11HighOnPhazonPosted 9/10/2013 4:45:28 PM
BendoHendo topic
---
GT/Steam: AncientToaster
i5 3750K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 2GB / Corsair TX650
#12SnipeStarPosted 9/10/2013 4:46:46 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
Trying too hard.

2/10

---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01
#13godplaysSNESPosted 9/10/2013 5:08:33 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
BendoHendo posted...
And let's say you had a GTX 780 today and an i7 processor. Do you really think that machine will be able to play the latest games 8 years from now? Because a PS4 and XBox One will certainly be able to.

--

Yes, and the i7/780 will be playing the games at higher settings and framerates too.

In eight years!? No, by then it will have fallen out of both driver support and what the studios target as the minimum. But on the consoles, it will get optimized and dumbed down until they manage the game.

The next-gen consoles might prompt the use of partially resident textures, which Kepler lacks
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#14urtvPosted 9/10/2013 5:11:08 PM
my cpu and gpu can overclock to make up for more demanding games.consoles cant
#15Snuckie7Posted 9/10/2013 5:13:14 PM
Nvidia's usually pretty good about driver support for older cards though. Lower enough settings, and a dinosaur like a 8800GT will still run games fine.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#16TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 9/10/2013 5:15:07 PM
HighOnPhazon posted...
BendoHendo topic

---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#17JonWood007Posted 9/10/2013 5:20:44 PM(edited)
BendoHendo posted...
console, from a performance point of view. Because games are optimized specifically for that console hardware.

From a hardware perspective, perhaps your current PC is as powerful as a next-generation PC, or even more powerful.

When the 360 came out in 2005, the best graphics card was the GeForce 7900 GT and the best processor was approximately the Athlon 64 X2 4400. (Don't kill me if those weren't the exact best ones, I'm going by memory)

So let's say in 2005, you had this killer machine with a Athlon 64 X2 4400 and a 7900 GT. It would set you back $1500.

Or you could buy an X-Box 360 in 2005 for $500.

Today, that killer machine would barely play Battlefield 4, if it did at all. Meanwhile, the 360 would still be able to play Battlefield 4 and look good.

So it's misleading to say that you can buy a PC more powerful than the latest console.

The performance per dollar ratio in consoles is MUCH higher in pure gaming performance standards.

(I'm a hardcore PC gamer who doesn't even play console games)

--

1) We're aware of this. We're talking raw specs....and that is relevant at least for the near future.

2) 360 only plays BF4 because it is scaled down below what the PC version looks like at the lowest possible settings. If the actual 360 graphics were available on PC, it would likely run on the system you mentioned above.

As someone who would claim to have a rig roughly parallel to PS4, I don't expect this rig to run games decently for more than another year or two. I don't expect any system out now to be able to make it until the end of this next gen....gaming PCs, even the very best ones, won't run games for more than 5-6 years well enough to be considered comparable to consoles....the Q6600/8800 GT rig is the best case scenario of a long lasting PC, and even that is beginning to be too outdated to play anything, especially since the 8800 doesn;t support DX11.

By the end of this gen, DX12, if not DX13 will be commonplace, DX11 will be the new DX9 and will be beginning to be phased out by then, if not sooner. A GTX titan will be comparable to, idk, an 8800 GT today, if that. CPUs are getting better more slowly, but even they will be huffing and puffing in 8 years....current i5s and i7s will be comparable to low end core 2 duos today.

So yeah, I don't think anyone has any illusions of their PCs being equal to console hardware being able to keep up with the console the whole gen. Regardless, they'll definitely be able to keep up for the time being.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#18g7g7g7g7Posted 9/10/2013 5:19:01 PM
Well the difference between your 2005 rig and your 2005 xbox was massive, about 40% in terms of raw performance and microsoft were losing money on every unit sold so that they could do this, to put it simply they were future proofing themselves so that they could spend 6-10 years focusing on software sales and online services for profit.

Here in late 2013 early 2014 there are different things going on, no company is willing to lose money to put state of the art hardware into their machines.

To build something equivalent in advancement to the xbox 40% more powerful than the best gaming PC would be massively cost prohibitive and during a recession it would not sell enough numbers.

If you want a successor to the xbox 360 and PS3 era spend $2500 pair a Titan graphics card with a top of the line i7 CPU, if you want a console buy a ps4.
---
You never see people quoting each other in sigs anymore. - Adam Laz
#19DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/10/2013 5:24:14 PM
godplaysSNES posted...
Snuckie7 posted...
BendoHendo posted...
And let's say you had a GTX 780 today and an i7 processor. Do you really think that machine will be able to play the latest games 8 years from now? Because a PS4 and XBox One will certainly be able to.

--

Yes, and the i7/780 will be playing the games at higher settings and framerates too.

In eight years!? No, by then it will have fallen out of both driver support and what the studios target as the minimum. But on the consoles, it will get optimized and dumbed down until they manage the game.

The next-gen consoles might prompt the use of partially resident textures, which Kepler lacks

I wouldn't be so sure. 8000 series is still getting updates, and it's going on 7 years. Wouldn't surprise me to see it hit a decade of support.
I'd wager 780 will be able to run next to anything consoles do, barring a few exceptions(ie, dx12/13 requirement) and considerably faster than either console would.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#20godplaysSNESPosted 9/10/2013 5:42:32 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
Snuckie7 posted...
BendoHendo posted...

--

I wouldn't be so sure. 8000 series is still getting updates, and it's going on 7 years. Wouldn't surprise me to see it hit a decade of support.
I'd wager 780 will be able to run next to anything consoles do, barring a few exceptions(ie, dx12/13 requirement) and considerably faster than either console would.

The main problem I see with Kepler is that it doesn't have feature parity with GCN, and while the GCN cards on PC do, all the features aren't currently exposed in DirectX or OpenGL. APUs also have inherent advantages when it comes to GPGPU.

The 8800 GTX was released one year after the 360, and it came with lots of more horsepower and VRAM and mitigated lots of the advantages the 360 had over PC(unified shaders).
Sure, the next-gen consoles aren't as groundbreaking as the 360 was back in 2005, but don't underestimate the change they can prompt.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!