This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It's a logical fallacy to say that your current PC is as powerful as a next-gen

#31Chaos_MissilePosted 9/10/2013 6:03:01 PM
BendoHendo posted...
And let's say you had a GTX 780 today and an i7 processor. Do you really think that machine will be able to play the latest games 8 years from now? Because a PS4 and XBox One will certainly be able to.

--

Consider your Battlefield 4 example has the min requirements of a Quad Core and an 8800GT, both 2005 components and were, iirc, essentially the "i7" and a "GTX790" of that point in time.

It has been about 8 years since both those components were released.

Think about it: what is equivalent (or slightly more powerful) in specs to an early-life 360 is able to play a launch XBone game.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#32TimePharaohPosted 9/10/2013 6:08:40 PM(edited)
BendoHendo posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
BendoHendo topic

And quality 10/10 logic too

If I have something that's better than the console, in five years somehow it's going to degrade to below the console....even though neither changed

100/10

Let me know how well your GT 7800 and X2 AMD play Battlefield 4....even though nothing has changed since 2005.

--

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/9/4712578/battlefield-4-pc-system-requirements

It can hands down do 720p, 20-30fps, low aka console settings fine...better luck next time?
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#33DV8ingSourcesPosted 9/10/2013 6:07:14 PM
OmegaDL50 posted...
Another thing to consider as well is the general lack of OS overhead (or very minimal if that)

This just isn't true anymore. The days of putting in a game and being launched directly into it with no other interface are gone. Both ps4 and the xbox one are going to be multitasking devices. Xbox One actually has 3 operating systems. 1 is the main gaming operating system, another for apps, and a third used to seamlessly switch between the two others. PS4 may not be quite as ambitious but it still has a fairly chunky os controlling everything in the background.

API's are definitely an advantage in the consoles favor though. Something needs to happen on the pc side but I have a feeling something will happen fairly soon.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#34Combo MasterPosted 9/10/2013 6:18:13 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
OmegaDL50 posted...
Another thing to consider as well is the general lack of OS overhead (or very minimal if that)

This just isn't true anymore. The days of putting in a game and being launched directly into it with no other interface are gone. Both ps4 and the xbox one are going to be multitasking devices. Xbox One actually has 3 operating systems. 1 is the main gaming operating system, another for apps, and a third used to seamlessly switch between the two others. PS4 may not be quite as ambitious but it still has a fairly chunky os controlling everything in the background.

API's are definitely an advantage in the consoles favor though. Something needs to happen on the pc side but I have a feeling something will happen fairly soon.

So are you saying the new consoles are going to have to take a hit to fps/graphics because of the os now?
---
Combo Master
#35BadDecisionsPosted 9/10/2013 6:19:38 PM
So it's misleading to say that you can buy a PC more powerful than the latest console.
The performance per dollar ratio in consoles is MUCH higher in pure gaming performance standards.
(I'm a hardcore PC gamer who doesn't even play console games)

Uncle Tom!
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSLJJDRA-jQ
Rate and subscribe. Very good best videos all the day!
#36DV8ingSourcesPosted 9/10/2013 6:21:42 PM
Combo Master posted...
So are you saying the new consoles are going to have to take a hit to fps/graphics because of the os now?

Take a hit seems like a bit of a misnomer in this regard. More like the console OS' will be taking up a bit more headroom this time around. The machines are still much more powerful but some of that power will be used just to run it smoothly. Games won't be able to use all of that wonderful 8GB of ram like some of the more rabid fans would like to think.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1