This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Reasons a Kindle Fire HD would cause network lag?

#1CammyApplePosted 9/10/2013 6:13:22 PM
My mother got her Kindle Fire HD today. I set it up and what not. Shortly after though my brother noticed his game of NHL 14 on the 360 was lagging pretty bad. Lag that only seemed to return when the Kindle was in use.

I ran random speed tests and noticed fluctuations.

Everything on the network is wireless except that xbox as well.

Why would the Kindle Fire HD cause this when various phones, consoles, and PCs don't? And what can be done to remedy it, without getting rid of the Kindle of course.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#2HydroCannabinolPosted 9/10/2013 6:15:14 PM
Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is to limit the bandwidth in your router to that device. Issue with that though is typically you need a decent router for this.

Maybe google it and see if you there is settings on the Kindle itself perhaps or if there is something else you can alter.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#3THEB0SS666Posted 9/10/2013 6:18:39 PM
Could be downloading something or watching videos don't know if kindle has videos. But an ipad cause lag in my games causing my ping to go from 10ms to 2000. I only have 3mbps.
---
dell xps 7100 gtx 660sc 8gb ram amd phenom x6 1045t 3.2ghz 1.5tbhdd
Moderators are filthy disgusting creatures.
#4CammyApple(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 6:19:26 PM
HydroCannabinol posted...
Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is to limit the bandwidth in your router to that device. Issue with that though is typically you need a decent router for this.

Maybe google it and see if you there is settings on the Kindle itself perhaps or if there is something else you can alter.

I have a migraine at the moment, unrelated to tech, but I couldn't find anything on the kindle itself.

The router is a Linksys E4200.

Maybe the router is just getting old? It was able to handle everything just peachy otherwise.

I was always under the impression wired devices got priority by default? I suppose I'll have to fiddle with qos when I feel better. Should be interesting as I've never done that before.
---
#5CammyApple(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 6:22:07 PM
THEB0SS666 posted...
Could be downloading something or watching videos don't know if kindle has videos. But an ipad cause lag in my games causing my ping to go from 10ms to 2000. I only have 3mbps.

It seems like interacting at all with the kindle can cause the network to take a hit. The android tablet I have, the two android phones, 1 iphone, other xbox, ps3, pc, laptop (not all on at once of course) don't seem to impact anything.

I'm hoping it's coincidental and that it's really just a problem with the service in the area.

I mean even downloading games on Steam never impacted the network.
---
#6HydroCannabinolPosted 9/10/2013 6:23:18 PM
CammyApple posted...

I have a migraine at the moment, unrelated to tech, but I couldn't find anything on the kindle itself.

Maybe the router is just getting old? It was able to handle everything just peachy otherwise.

I was always under the impression wired devices got priority by default? I suppose I'll have to fiddle with qos when I feel better. Should be interesting as I've never done that before.

Yes, apparently your router only supports 'priorities' and not exact bandwidth limitation. the QoS should work, however, if you set the kindle to the lowest priority and set your xbox and such to the highest priority and then I guess any other devices to medium. Either way, make sure everything is above the kindle. xD

Unless she really needs the bandwidth in which case you're a bad son. ;)
---
#7CammyApple(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 6:25:47 PM
CammyApple posted...

Yes, apparently your router only supports 'priorities' and not exact bandwidth limitation. the QoS should work, however, if you set the kindle to the lowest priority and set your xbox and such to the highest priority and then I guess any other devices to medium. Either way, make sure everything is above the kindle. xD

In the end it doesn't really impact me. It's more of an impact on my brother. I'm just trying to make everything smooth for everyone.

Would upgrading the router be of any help? It's something I have been looking to do for some time. The E4200 runs really hot and when it needs to be cycled it takes what feels like ages to broadcast.
---
#8THEB0SS666Posted 9/10/2013 6:27:00 PM
What is your internet provider router maker and the speed of the connection?
---
dell xps 7100 gtx 660sc 8gb ram amd phenom x6 1045t 3.2ghz 1.5tbhdd
Moderators are filthy disgusting creatures.
#9CammyApple(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 6:29:01 PM
THEB0SS666 posted...
What is your internet provider router maker and the speed of the connection?

ISP is Time Warner Cable (Road Runner)
Router is Linksys E4200
The speed normally tests around 20 ping 15Mbps down 1.01Mbps up.

During the network hits the ping hits about 90. The down can fluctuate to between 7 and 9. The up seems unaffected though it tests "jerky".
---
#10HydroCannabinolPosted 9/10/2013 6:29:47 PM
CammyApple posted...
CammyApple posted...

In the end it doesn't really impact me. It's more of an impact on my brother. I'm just trying to make everything smooth for everyone.

Would upgrading the router be of any help? It's something I have been looking to do for some time. The E4200 runs really hot and when it needs to be cycled it takes what feels like ages to broadcast.

Well if you upgrade to a router that can limit exact bandwidth then you would be able to set the exact kbps that each device can use which would mean complete control of bandwidth access.

On the other hand, it may be expensive. You would have to google for the cheapest one it's been a while since I've gone shopping for routers...

I was just gonna say you could upgrade to a wireless N router for a double-whammy but it appears your router is already N and is like a 200 dollar router.. O_o

I don't think you need to upgrade if it still works haha.
---