This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC game organization.

#1Danner16Posted 9/10/2013 5:15:06 PM
One of the things I like to do on GameFAQ's is click on a category and look at all the game in that given category trying to find one that catches my eye. I find with the PC this is nearly impossible. I feel like some one should take the time and sort the PC games into decades. Start with the oldest games till the 80's(if they go back this far). Then do 80's to 90's, 90's to 00's etc.. I feel like every time I come here to look for new PC games I am stuck sifting through pages and pages of games that are so old my computer can't even play them, or I will click on a cool sounding game only to find it's from the early 90's is out of print and can't be downloaded. I really wish something would be done about this massive amount of unorganized content.
---
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.
#2TimePharaohPosted 9/10/2013 5:17:21 PM
Sounds like you have a terrible computer, as I can run DOS games.

Oh wait

-Doesn't know if there were games in the 80's
-Doesn't think he can run old games
-Judges games based on random name in a list
-Thinks they should be sectioned off in meaningless chunks....

Smells like dirt in here
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#3KillerTrufflePosted 9/10/2013 5:22:35 PM
It wouldn't hurt if GFAQs had filtering tools similar to Steam or Newegg - filter by year published (allowing ranges - e.g. "newer than 2007"), genre, metacritic score, etc. I would absolutely not want arbitrary categories to be forced on by default tho.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#4Danner16(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 5:32:03 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Sounds like you have a terrible computer, as I can run DOS games.

Oh wait

-Doesn't know if there were games in the 80's
-Doesn't think he can run old games
-Judges games based on random name in a list
-Thinks they should be sectioned off in meaningless chunks....

Smells like dirt in here

I never said my computer couldn't run the games, I said I couldn't play them. Unlike you I don't have hours and hours to try and tinker around with settings to get older games to play properly. I don't judge games based on there name but if I see something that sounds interesting I will look at it and see what it's about. The chunks would not be meaningless they would cut down on all the clutter. If you took the time to read my post I said "if there are any PC games" pre-80's. I mean if there is a very short list of games you may as well sort it in with the 80's.

I am sorry that you are such an angry person and feel that you need to lash out at me, but I was only trying to make a simple suggestion. If nothing comes from it fine, but if some sort of change is inspired from it, what's wrong with that?
---
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.
#5dakondakbladePosted 9/10/2013 6:01:16 PM
The problem is that there are way too many games to properly catergorize.

Fun fact- Epic Megagames is known best for Unreal Tournament and Gears of War.

They had a series in the 90's called; " Jill of the Jungle " ( a basic platformer ) which alot of people aren't aware of ( unless they grew up playing it or happen to like old school games ) and a series called Jazz Jackrabbit ( which people do know; but newer gamers aren't familiar with )

Then if you go into Apogee and Broderbund you would have far too many games to catergorize/find the links to.

It's worth nothing that most of the older games are now abandonware/freeware. So you can download them ( legally ) and play them in Dosbox ( a Dos emulator ) so take a look on some freeware sites.

I haven't checked in a while but Home of the Underdogs and Abandonware archive used to be good for this.
---
Until you can stop death herself, I will ignore you like I would the ants beneath my feet