This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Router/Modem Help

#1TakushoPosted 9/10/2013 6:59:42 PM(edited)
Just to start off, I have little-to-no experience with hardware. So...please bare with me. :c

I currently have an old motorolla modem than is plugged into my wall downstairs. It's connected through a cable jack, and it only works in that one (tried moving it to the one in my room, didn't work). By old, I mean like...at least 10 years old. I also have a more new router (cisco) connected to it. I don't know the specifications of either of these devices...but I do know that I am not getting the speed I am paying for. When I plug my PC directly into my router, I get about 4 mbps downloads. When I am wireless, I am at about 200 kbps (only through one wall...about 60 feet away). We have the "Comcast Blast" package which I believe is 50mbps...not 100% sure, but it's something like that. That was the download speed, too, not the overall speed (I don't know, lol).

Anywho...my question is, if I were to upgrade my modem...how would I go about doing that? I have seen many modems are 2-in-1 models, so would that obsolete my current set-up? Should I go with this? Or should I stick with a new modem since my router is relatively new (about 2-3 years old)? Which are recommended, and why?

If I were to get a wireless router, could I use that in conjunction with my current set-up? IE - Have two routers in the house? Since my room is quite the distance from my router, and it would be beneficial for me since I am the one putting up the funds for it. How would that work exactly?

Tl;Dr - I have no idea what I am doing in purchasing a new modem. 2-in-1 or use in conjunction with my current router.

I just purchased a new Wireless PCI-Express card for my desktop, so I just want to see if that works any better first before I shell out money for a router (which is why I want to do research first).

Any help is appreciated. Thank you! :3

EDIT - Changed most of the "router" to "modem".
#2TimePharaohPosted 9/10/2013 6:54:10 PM(edited)
You wouldn't have 50mb you would have 50Mb. And Mb=/=MB
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#3LordSeiferPosted 9/10/2013 6:54:58 PM
any wireless router will also be a wired router

all you would have to do is buy a router, and replace the current router with the new router, ie plug it in the same, and then put a password on it.

you can run two, but it complicates things and if your current one is trash why would you want to reuse it?
---
^ this
#4LordSeiferPosted 9/10/2013 6:55:36 PM
TimePharaoh posted...

it really does not matter if you capitalize the M since the B is the one of importance.
---
^ this
#5Takusho(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 6:55:44 PM
TimePharaoh posted...

I apologize. I'm still new to most of this stuff. :(
#6Takusho(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 6:58:03 PM
Okay, so I actually labeled everything wrong. It's my modem that is old, and my router is new. My modem is a cable modem, and my router is a new cisco model. Not sure about the specs still, though.
#7LordSeiferPosted 9/10/2013 7:00:21 PM(edited)
either way it still sounds like either the router is bad, or your wireless signal from the router is low

do you get good speeds when you hardwire to the router , or only good speeds when you hardwire to the modem
---
^ this
#8Takusho(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 7:03:16 PM
LordSeifer posted...
either way it still sounds like either the router is bad, or your wireless signal from the router is low

do you get good speeds when you hardwire to the router , or only good speeds when you hardwire to the modem

When I use an ethernet cable to my router, my average download speed is about 4 mbps. I've never plugged it into my modem before. When I am wireless, I am connected with full bars and everything loads fast...but my downloads are at 200kbps max. So I wasn't sure if it was my USB receiver (which is about a year old), or my router, or my modem.

Would it be easier if I took a picture of my set-up?
#9LordSeiferPosted 9/10/2013 7:46:50 PM
not really.

do you have another computer that can connect wirelessly to test?

or you said you just bought a new adapter, so i guess youll know if its the router or the adapter pretty shortly.
still a good idea to try another computer if you have one.
---
^ this
#10Takusho(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 7:49:05 PM
All of my other wireless devices download fine. My Xbox downloads relatively fast (not 4gbps though), but my Vita is slow. My friend's Laptop is slow, too...but it's an old, crappy laptop. xD