This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Someone in a topic just said PC gaming will be dominant this gen...

#1JohnnyKoochPosted 9/10/2013 5:58:21 PM
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE PC gaming and the PC in general.

Not to sound like the "master race" type of PC fanatic, but I personally believe it is the best choice versus gaming consoles.

However, even though the capabilities / possibilities of PC gaming far out-reach any console, I think the PC market will forever be haunted by pirates / piracy.

If I was an actual game dev aside from the stupid un-finished RPG maker games I do, I would have a tendency to stay away from PC altogether. Especially if I was making a game with all the beef going into single-player.

Pirating a game on PC is an extremely easy thing to do, and while piracy exists on consoles, it tends to be more complicated to get started and repels people who have no idea what to do or don't want to take the risk, adding up to less pirates roaming console downloads.

Piracy won't really die until we are either super-monitored by 1000's of internet police, or until every game we play is an online-only, Free-to-Play, Pay-to-win, Pay-to-Look-Cool type of game.

I think this will always shorten interest in the PC market, and increase interest in console markets.

Am I crazy?
#2TimePharaohPosted 9/10/2013 6:00:53 PM
TV/Movies=FINISHED
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#3DV8ingSourcesPosted 9/10/2013 6:02:45 PM
Yes you are.

Piracy is easy yes but consumers consume regardless. I pay for all my games these days because I respect the industry that has given me so much entertainment for reasonably prices.

PC versions also provide a bigger piece of the pie to developers and from what I have gathered, sell as much if not more than any single console out right now.

Piracy isn't going anywhere but it shouldn't be too much of a hindrance when companies are still making mad profit. Thats right now. I can only imagine how many people will convert to pc as their main gaming device in the coming years.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#4Lemur_HPosted 9/10/2013 6:07:44 PM
PC gaming is dying. All PC gamers are pirates. No money to be made on PC. Go home, publishers.
#5Giblet_EnjoyerPosted 9/10/2013 6:09:50 PM
Lol, piracy totally isn't what stops PC gaming from being dominant

What stops that from happening is consumer ignorance (no ads on TV telling people about PC gaming and why they should get into it, after all) and the whole price/ease of use thing. A console is just something you slap on the floor and plug in and then you're good to go, and for a lower price than a PC. Even if they did somehow figure out that they can play most of the sort of games they're into on a PC, they would still have to figure out why'd they'd want to spend ~800 to do so, rather than ~400.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/katanaman444
Pccouchcoop.com http://www.co-optimus.com/system/4/pc.html
#6kelemvorPosted 9/10/2013 6:11:04 PM
Piracy on consoles is more prevalent than you think, especially in South America and Asia, from what I hear. You can easily churn out blu-ray discs and sell them for a profit. At least with PCs, the pirates aren't making any money.

Besides, Steam and other DD services have done a LOT to combat piracy.

TC, I agree with you that piracy is still a problem, but I disagree that it's serious enough to support your argument that consoles will run away with the next generation of gaming.

Besides, if we are talking about pure profit, DD is king. It's probably way more profitable for a developer to sell 100K copies of a game on Steam with a million people pirating it, than selling 500K copies of a game on PS4 from Gamestop.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#7DerPancakePosted 9/10/2013 6:24:02 PM
Piracy didn't stop the Wii from destroying the 360 and Ps3 in sales.
---
Nope Nope Nope!!!!
#8AtomicPenguin76Posted 9/10/2013 6:45:00 PM
Poor sales and slow adoption rates of new Windows 8 machines threaten PC gaming more than piracy does right now.

In general, PC gaming is doing just fine and the indie market on PC is thriving. Big-ticket AAA games and their publishers are having a harder time than ever right now, and it remains to be seen how well they do into this next console generation... or what effect that will have on reviving the PC gaming market.

It's possible PC gaming could be dominant this generation, but seems pretty unlikely right now without disappointing sales of the new consoles over the next year or two. Personally, I think the XB1 and PS4 are both going to do pretty well and the PC is at a crossroads right now as to whether it fades into even more of a niche than it has been or if it sees a resurgence in popularity.
#9lionheart5656Posted 9/10/2013 7:03:05 PM
Piracy has never been a real issue.

You are just one of many sheep tricked into thinking that's the problem.

The problem is that publishers and some developers want full control over anything and everything you do with their product which can't be achieved as easily on PC.

Not to mention console makers would lose millions of dollars in revenue from all the licensing fees they get from people selling games on their console. They know that consoles are inferior in just about every way at this point.

But they don't want the average guy to know that.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.