This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

wireless internet to another wireless router question

#1pelon213Posted 9/10/2013 6:08:24 PM
I have my centurylink wireless router/modem in my room. I want to get internet in guest room. I know i can get another modem for that room to get internet but can i plug in a wireless router & connect to share internet from modem/router in my room? I am at work right now so can't check but i have been thinking if i connect then wireless router will show up on my list then i can give it access right?
---
XboX Tag = XAztec WarriorX
STEAM = Pelon213
#2LordSeiferPosted 9/10/2013 6:49:34 PM
you actually CANT plug in a second modem and expect that to work like an independent connection

but yes you can use a second router.

you have two options, run a cable between the two, in which case any router will work with a little bit of setup.
or run it wifi to wifi, in which case youll need routers that will work together using a feature called WDS, which not all routers have, and itll have to be in a spot where the signal is still good, cant put it in a spot with bad signal and expect it to work well.

so best option here, run cable from router A to router B, if you need help doing the setup just ask, or alternatively google , "use router as access point."
---
^ this
#3pelon213(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 8:30:29 PM
So can't do two modems then. I guess I will run Ethernet threw attic & down wall. Make it nice & clean. Thx for the help.
---
XboX Tag = XAztec WarriorX
STEAM = Pelon213
#4OmegaDL50Posted 9/10/2013 8:40:55 PM
Just be mindful the longest total length for ethernet is 100m, or just a bit over 300 feet. If you go any further you would begin to have an excessive amount of packet collisions, reducing your effective throughput.

You may not be using a cable that long but just keep that mind if you do. You may want to consider using a signal repeater that could help if you run into this issue.
---
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.
#5nIMr0D888Posted 9/11/2013 12:28:55 AM
Get an ethernet over power adapter.
---
CAUTION: EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE
#6LordSeiferPosted 9/11/2013 3:11:53 PM
OmegaDL50 posted...
Just be mindful the longest total length for ethernet is 100m, or just a bit over 300 feet. If you go any further you would begin to have an excessive amount of packet collisions, reducing your effective throughput.

You may not be using a cable that long but just keep that mind if you do. You may want to consider using a signal repeater that could help if you run into this issue.

who has a house where this would be a concern?
---
^ this