The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question regarding AMD cards

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Question regarding AMD cards
2 years ago#1
Quick question

Current GPU is 5770; I'm building a new rig in the next few months.

Looking at the 770 GTX or the 7970. Price has no bearing on this at all as I am going to be getting a second card in Jan or March to SLI or Crossfire depending on the first. Also I already have 96% of the games in the AMD bundles.

Here's the thing though. My current GPU supports dual monitors without the use of a display port. I need dual monitors for my work.

The newer AMD cards ( as far as I can tell ) need a display port for a second monitor.

The 770's don't have this restriction; which is why I'm leaning more towards that card.

Do they come with the adapter at all? Or is it a separate purchase? At Canada computers the savings on the 7970's are mediocre ( $30 ) and they would be almost useless since Display ports cost anywhere from $20 up over here.

If there are any brands that include the adapter; can you guys let me know which they are?

Cheers.
---
Until you can stop death herself, I will ignore you like I would the ants beneath my feet
2 years ago#2
AMD cards don't require display port for dual screen previously had a 7870, close friend has 770. As far as the upgrade goes I was also torn between 770/7970 ( i have all the games in bundle) and I went for the 770 couldn't be happier for the price.
2 years ago#3
3 or more monitors require you to use the DisplayPort.

SLI is better than Crossfire at the moment.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
2 years ago#4
Running 2 displays at the moment using HDMI and DVI with zero issues whatsoever on my 7870. That said, if you are looking at a dual card setup, I wouldn't even look at AMD to be honest.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
2 years ago#5
kill2this posted...
AMD cards don't require display port for dual screen previously had a 7870, close friend has 7970. As far as the upgrade goes I was also torn between 770/7970 ( i have all the games in bundle) and I went for the 770 couldn't be happier for the price.

For some reason editing was failing.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Question regarding AMD cards

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived