This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How far away are we from full destructable environments?

#31FeatherwindPosted 9/11/2013 1:21:02 AM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/217200/

Released in 1999.
#32johnny_payPosted 9/11/2013 1:28:53 AM
will never happen, just look at battlefield. in bad company 2 you could destroy every building and thats exactly what people did. why would you want to run around in a city where you've flattened every building it would be boring. its why they reduced it on bf3 but went a bit too far so they are allowing some big buildings to fall but not all of them.
#33Orestes417Posted 9/11/2013 1:33:42 AM
People tend to forget the difference in architectural complexity between BC2 and BF3. Yeah you could bring down houses in a scripted event after a threshold of damage passed but those houses were little more than cardboard boxes
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#34Broccoli92Posted 9/11/2013 1:48:00 AM(edited)
Broccoli92 posted...
Orestes417 posted...
BF4's destruction is largely scripted. You want to see real destruction go play Red Faction Guerrilla.

This. Honestly i hope Volition would use Geomod in Next Saints Row that would be crazy. Anyway there's a awesome game is coming out on PC. If you loved destruction physics check this video out! Http://youtube.com/watch?v=8n8afMWq9Ok

Please spread the word about it!

Anyone here knows the game Flatout should definitely check the video i posted up there. And check their official site as there are some interesting information there :)
---
Intel i5 3470 3.20GHz | Sapphire HD 7850 2GB | 8GB RAM | Asrock Z77 PRO3 |WD 1TB| PSU 650w Enermax
#35Gojak_v3Posted 9/11/2013 2:03:56 AM
Mackorov posted...
Orestes417 posted...
BF4's destruction is largely scripted. You want to see real destruction go play Red Faction Guerrilla.

Scripted? You obviously never played BC2. Red Faction's destruction is too pathetic to even be put up in comparison to

This, the destruction in Bad Company 2 was great. For whatever reason the destruction in Battlefield 3 isn't near as good.
#36ThePlasmaStormPosted 9/11/2013 2:21:07 AM
the reason this (the unscripted version) isn't here yet isn't because of cost... it's cause of the physics computation required. imagine having to sim every piece of rubble in a game and calculate exactly when a building should fall and in what fashion.

and in mp games, you have to sync that up with the mp server and the mp server has to sync that up with every client
---
`._Out! Out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow_.
http://i.imgur.com/k8Sb2kC.png
#37MaxCHEATER64Posted 9/11/2013 2:24:00 AM
Steamster posted...
myztikrice posted...
What do you mean how far away? We can do it now. They just don't want to spend the time and effort to put it into their game.

Dude, means realistically.

As in, when a consumer can expect it.

liek, duh.

Frostbite 3
---
i5-3570K | HD 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T
http://i.imgur.com/xUwa3va.png
#38skyfire777Posted 9/11/2013 2:31:40 AM
if you put full destructable environments in something like GTA, you're gonna be playing in a vast pile of rubble that used to be a city in the first 15 minutes
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#39wh0_kn0wsPosted 9/11/2013 2:40:38 AM
Lemur_H posted...
DerPancake posted...
Lemur_H posted...
DerPancake posted...
How far away are we from a MMO that will simulate real life?

I play Second Life every night for at least 5 hours.

I was joking, but wtf is this game...

Imagine a world where you can be anything you want and do anything you want.

Now understand that everyone else can be anything and do anything they want.

Welcome to the deepest level of Hell.

this is an interesting concept. like an eternal game of 'war', the horrible playing card game. that is a true hell
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#40ReloadPsiPosted 9/11/2013 2:58:14 AM
I thought the environment in Lemmings was plenty destructible ;)
---
People still want an FF7 remake? Geez, that sure is a lot of people eager to see the Honey Bee Inn bathtub scene in Advent Children graphics.