This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help with overclocking. Please Help!

#1THE_WTF_PANDAPosted 9/11/2013 2:17:45 AM
Howdy, I'm trying to overclock my Gpu. It's a MSI Twin Forzr 2 Oc edition. I've got it at 900/1375 on 1138 volts and it's very stable...no crashes so far but I want to push it a bit farther and I haven't been able to find a stable setting. Anyways, I'm not very experienced at overclocking. Is there any guide or technique anyone can recommend me? Oh by the way I'm stress testing with Crysis 3 on max w/ no aa and Unigine Heaven on Ultra w/ tess on normal and 8x msaa. Donka in advance.
#2THE_WTF_PANDA(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 4:10:04 AM
Any advice at all would be appreciated. I've looked through several guides but haven't come across a very detailed one yet.
#3MasterDonGeroPosted 9/11/2013 4:35:56 AM
THE_WTF_PANDA posted...
Howdy, I'm trying to overclock my Gpu. It's a MSI Twin Forzr 2 Oc edition. I've got it at 900/1375 on 1138 volts and it's very stable...no crashes so far but I want to push it a bit farther and I haven't been able to find a stable setting.

1. What's the GPU? You've only given us the name of a cooler.
2. You say "it's very stable," but you "haven't been able to find a stable setting," so which one is it?
3. Basically, you're gonna raise the core clock until it's unstable and then you raise the voltage until it becomes stable again. Memory clock can only be pushed so far, unless you figure a way to unlock the memory voltage.
4. Make sure to monitor your GPU VRM temps as well as the regular GPU temps. HWInfo allows you to do that.
5. Be careful with the memory VRM cooling as well. I believe TFII doesn't cool the memory.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#4THE_WTF_PANDA(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 4:48:36 AM
It's a 6950 and at the settings mentioned above it's stable but I can't find a stable setting above that. It runs at about 88c on a full load with those settings. If I'm correct the card can handle pretty hot temps and won't start causing damage until around 120c but I want to keep it under 90c.
#5Mogu_MoguPosted 9/11/2013 4:48:41 AM
THE_WTF_PANDA posted...
Howdy, I'm trying to overclock my Gpu. It's a MSI Twin Forzr 2 Oc edition. I've got it at 900/1375 on 1138 volts and it's very stable...no crashes so far but I want to push it a bit farther and I haven't been able to find a stable setting. Anyways, I'm not very experienced at overclocking. Is there any guide or technique anyone can recommend me? Oh by the way I'm stress testing with Crysis 3 on max w/ no aa and Unigine Heaven on Ultra w/ tess on normal and 8x msaa. Donka in advance.

How's that working for you? o_O
---
In the chronicles of my life
there is a legend in which I change 'history' into 'herstory'.
#6THE_WTF_PANDA(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 4:51:16 AM
I don't understand your question. What are you asking?
#7THE_WTF_PANDA(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 5:03:27 AM
Didn't see the bold. The card seems very stable at that clock. I haven't ran into any issues after playing crysis 3 for about two hours straight. It only reached 88c which I think is a safe temp for the card. I'm not too knowledgable about these things but that's what my research told me anyways. I've tried that clock with lower voltage but it doesn't want to work lower than that. Either way I'm happy with what I can get out of it I just wish it didn't run so hot. I've read people clocking 6950s to 1050/1500 on 1120 volts and being stable that's why I'm asking for advice. I feel like I should be able to push a card that was obviously designed for Ocing further, Maybe I'm being greedy.
#8THE_WTF_PANDA(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 1:27:58 PM
Anybody have any other advice, technique, or link to a guide?